software updates

bigjohn

Since installing version 10 CE, I've been pretty conscientious in making sure my system is kept updated (with, yes, you've guessed it, updates).

So I've just had a look and notice that there's a new kernel source called 2.6.3-8mdk which tells me that there's a new kernel version (though why the kernel sources arrive as updates and the actual kernel in the install section, god alone knows).

Anyway, I've done the install of the kernel and am about to do the update of the kernel sources. So what do I do with the older versions, leave them in place or uninstall them so the system only uses the latest one?

Erm, sorry if this seems like an idiot question, but it never occured to me last time I did the kernel and sources update.

regards

John

And yes, I also had to re-install the nvidia driver for the new kernel version. Didn't think of that one, but it soon became apparent when I re-booted into the new kernel version - i.e. the generic "nv" driver works, but with strange scanning lines across my monitor.

So, the question gets slightly more complicated. If I then uninstall the previous kernel versions and any out dated kernel sources (just retaining the kernel/sources for the latest with it's associated nvidia kernel module), will the multiple instances of the nvidia kernel module just disappear with the uninstall and is it likely to affect the current running version???

regards

John

You don't need to uninstall previous version of the kernel when you install a new version. In fact, it's a good idea to keep them around for a few weeks just in case you have problems with the new kernel and need to reboot with an earlier working version. The kernel installation scripts create secondary entries in your lilo scripts for the previous version so you can always select one from the boot menu.

The reason the a new kernel is in the install section rather than being listed as an update is that the update process removes all the files of a previous version. You don't want to do this to a running kernel. If is okay to remove a prior version's source files, so the kernel-source package is listed in the update section.

The nvidia driver must always be recompiled for a new kernel and needs matching kernel-source files. The default installation process removes any prior nvidia drivers so you have to reinstall if you boot a different kernel. There is a -K option to the installer to create kernel driver without removing the nvidia proprietary modules, but I haven't tried this.

Removing unneeded kernel versions shouldn't affect your working kernel. Unless you've used the -K nvidia-installer option, there will only be one nvidia kernel module (nvidida.ko) on your system, in the currently running kernels /lib/moldules/$(uname -r)/drivers/video directory.

Thanks for the reply Kjel Oslund,

That explains thing's nicely. I suspect that I'll have a little clean up, even though space isn't really a concern, though during the updates yesterday, I still seem to have 2.6.3-1mdk, -4mdk, -7mdk, as well as the -8mdk version that's now the "current" one. Hence the question in the first place.

I'd imagine that my worst case scenario would be that I'd have to find out about getting 2.6.5 from kernel.org and compiling that - though I suspect I'll probably have to work out how to back up my info first (maybe just re-format my hard drive so I've got a seperate /home as well).

At least I now know that I can get rid of the two earlier -1mdk and -4mdk versions as the -7mdk was running excellently, with no problems at all.

Again, many thanks for your reply.

regards

John