TrueType Unicode fonts

alexpank

I'm currently editing a largish text file that uses the Japanese JIS X 0212 character set, which contains a lot of characters that are rarely or never used in Japanese information processing (if you're interested or curious, check out Ken Lunde's Understanding Japanese Information Processing).

To cut to the chase, the only fonts I have that support this character set are some rather useful bitmap fonts, which are fine as long as the character isn't too complicated. When it comes to characters with over 20 strokes, I tend to end up with mush, and I can't find that in any of my dictionaries. ;)

I tried getting the TrueType fonts that come with Mandrake (ttf-fonts-japanese), but even though the file says they support JIS X 0212 characters, they just come up with blank squares :angry: I don't even get the little boxes! This, by the way, is using Kochi Mincho, Kochi Gothic, the Watanabe fonts and the... other ones. I forget the name.

I did profit from Windoze's lovely Arial Unicode MS font, which has every character you could possibly want, and MS Mincho and MS Gothic, which have all the JIS X 0212 characters, as well as the standard Japanese ones. I have tried to find something similar for Mandrake, but no luck yet. The other thing I was considering was to install those Windoze fonts onto WinNT on the other partition, and then install them into Mdk with MCC. Is there anything I should watch out for by doing this?

TIA

Alex

On my computer that don't have Windows on, I've used this page to get the most common TrueType fonts... hope it helps!

EDIT: On my freshly installed MDK 10CE on a Dual Boot, I can't seem to find the same import-function as I had on MDK 9.x... is it removed, moved or am I just blind?

Edited by TopDog

Thanks, TopDog. I'll check that out when I get home :) I never thought it would be that easy...

Total newbie question, though -- what's anti-aliasing, and what are the pros and cons or using it? The guy on the site above seems to be against it, so i was just wondering why.