Help me! User permissions changing on me randomly!

Guest klatk

Not quite randomly, but still...

I've installed Mandrake 9.0 and have this persistent problem where user accounts that I've set up seem to lose their group privileges. Using the linuxconf interface in Gnome, every time I go to the user accounts in question, the "This account is enabled" tab is NOT depressed. I depress it, exit linuxconf (with an error mentioned below, unrelated?), and can then read and write in directories belonging to the assigned group (users in this case)... until I've logged out. When I log back in, I can't see anything but my home directory.

I'm using linuxconf as root, obviously. The error that I get when I exit linuxconf is this:

"The state of the system is not in sync with the current/updated configurations. You are allowed to make it current or continue with..." and it's followed by a box indicating a bunch of file ownership changes to be made and then... The following command told me something had to be done /etc/rc3.d/S10network probe Executing: /etc/rc3.d/S10network usage {start|stop|restart|reload|status}

Which is followed by,

Service saslauthd is not running Executing: /etc/rc3.d/S40saslauthd start

And when I go through with it, logs are produced which basically says the first thing was garbage and for the second, saslauthd was already running.

Is saslauthd the cause of my problems? What's going on here?

Help me, please!!!!