Can not install MDK 9.2

jmclaughlin

Newbie to linux. I can't wait to get this going.

I purchased MDK 9.2 CDs and manual. Upon installing I get thru the initial installlation screen, language/license/mouse and partitions (/ 5.8GB /home 30GB)

I've tried installing several packages and the most basic limited install and get to the same problem:

Error Installing Package

bash-2.05b-14mdk.i586

If I ignore and go past it, I come up with about a dozen of these errors on various packages and at the end of the install I get a failure to install required packages error and back to the select packages screen.

MDK 10.0 won't run CD1 or CD2. I checked the MD5 checksum OK on all three.

MDK Move runs! I can open various office type applications. When I configured the network I was able to browse the net. After closing the browser, no other apps would load or run.

Hardware:

Dell Dimension XPS D233

Motherboard Intel AL440LX PII 256 MB RAM

NEC CD-ROM

HD Seagate Barracuda ATA 38GB

Video STB Velocity128/RIVA128/NVidia-SGS Thomson

Network 3COM 3C905B

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We want to set up a web accessible CRM program and I DO NOT want to go with any M$ software on this one.

Thanks,

Jim

I'm sorry to say buts its not uncommon for a purchased box set of Mandrake to be bad. My best recomendation would be to check and see if the disks work on another cd drive. This way you rule out any hardware problems.

As for getting a good copy of the disks, the fastest way if you can't take them back to the place you got them personally, would be to just download the ISO's for 9.2 and burn them yourself.

Make sure you burn the ISO's at the slowest speed you can. This just makes a better burn. If you try installing 10 a few times and you are getting errors on the same packages each time then I would say its a bad download, burn or media. If your getting errors on different packages each try then I would say a hardware problem. Run a memcheck or switch out the cd drive.

If your overclocking cut it back to the normal speed settings and try again.

Thanks for the reply.

I switched the CD ROM that was really slow for a 52X SAMSUNG. I came up with the same errors only faster in 9.2

The CDROMs appear to be readable.

The MDK 10 .0 disks (1 and 2) were unreadable in the newer CDROM drive.

I find it very strange that MDK Move will work but nothing else.

And I just love the help on Dell's website... In effect the intallation help (for MDK 7) says Insert the installation CD and click "Install" DUH!

Sure enough! It fails on the same packages every time. I checked the Installation CD #1 and it has a divot! The plastic sleeve has an identical divot! Thanks to UPS and the not so great shipping package!

FTP download of 9.2 from either site estimates 23+ hours. I'm on a T1 line so I'm sure its not my side of the net. I downloaded V10 ISOs in about 1+ hours.

Thanks for the help. I'll be back...