OpenOffice.org crashing in 10CE with unlisted font

cardassianscot

When I open a document in OpenOffice.org in 10CE that has a font that is not on my system it freezes OpenOffice.org. Not always immediately, sometimes it opens ok, then freezes when I scroll down or when I try to type something in, other times it does freeze while loading. I can fix the problem, by adding a substitute font in the font replacement table before I open the document. This is fine for me if I know what font I used in my document but it is not fine for the college where I run the IT and we have Linux desktop machines. You don't always know ahead of time what fonts a document is going to have, nor do I want my users to crash the system everytime they open a document that has a font they have at home but not on our system. Nor is it acceptable to give them an instruction sheet about adding a font to a font replacement table before they can open a document. This is unacceptable behaviour and to an audience that already wants windows and word, it's suicide step for Linux to give them this system as is.

I've registered the problem with Bugzilla, for the 10RC but it's still there in 10CE and nothing has been done.

Could somebody else try this out and see if this is just my problem or whether its a wider one?