What happened to my menu?

digby

Well, I don't quite know what I did this time... I was using RPMdrake to browse through some games looking for a chess game and some scorched earth clone I head heard about. I seleted a couple of other itmes that looked interesting as well. After telling the gui to install everything, I got an error that my contrib source (raven.cslab.vt.edu)'s list was out of date. And now over half the programs in the Gnome menu have disappeared and all of the icons that were once colorful have changed to gray-green folders. Any thoughts?

-EDIT-

Ok... after all this, I was installing XMMS ( # urpmi xmms) All the programs came back. Everything is just like it should be except the top level menu. Everything that should be there is, but it's ugly. Did the other stuff come back because urpmi added something new?

-Re-re-edit-

Restarted the X Server and everything is fine now... but that didn't fix it before. After all this started happening, I turned the computer off (thunderstorms kill my uptime) and nothing changed. It wasn't until I installed XMMS... everything works fine now, but I'd love for someone to explain what happend and how I fixed it.

Edited by digby

Whenever you install new software, Mandrake runs menu-update and that sorts out the menu.

So, what caused your problem? = a bug (most likely).

What fixed your problem? = menu-update.

You can run menu-update on your own as well....