Mandrake - Sparc32 - 2.6 kernel?

XSS

Hello.

I'm a proud owner of a SparcStation 10 with dual CPU's and 109 Mb RAM and some 1gb HDD =)

I just installed the latest Mandrake version on it and i must say, very surprised over how easy it went, thanks for that.

Anyway, the thing is i need to go out on the net with it, when it starts up it says i have an Lance something card, i'm not really sure what i have, anyway.

I can't find any modules or support for the card, im 100% sure it works, i've tried it in Solaris (dhcp) and in BPROM so it's not the hardware so i thought i should upgrade a little to the 2.6 kernel but i can't seem to find it, any help on that?

Also, if you can help me with the card instead or both please write whatever you can come up with, the search on this forums aren't that great as far as i've seen.

I have the 2.2.16 SMP kernel for Sparc.

I would advise the kernel upgrade regardless. Mandrake's Network Drake (wizard) will list your card if it is detected. Otherwise when compiling a 2.6 kernel, you'd be able to find it and compile it in (I'd go vanilla with the 2.6 kernel).

Doing some Googling will tell you whether or not the card is supported or what supported equivalent you could use instead.

Hello.

I'm a proud owner of a SparcStation 10 with dual CPU's and 109 Mb RAM and some 1gb HDD =)

I just installed the latest Mandrake version on it and i must say, very surprised over how easy it went, thanks for that.

Anyway, the thing is i need to go out on the net with it, when it starts up it says i have an Lance something card, i'm not really sure what i have, anyway.

I can't find any modules or support for the card, im 100% sure it works, i've tried it in Solaris (dhcp) and in BPROM so it's not the hardware so i thought i should upgrade a little to the 2.6 kernel but i can't seem to find it, any help on that?

Also, if you can help me with the card instead or both please write whatever you can come up with, the search on this forums aren't that great as far as i've seen.

I have the 2.2.16 SMP kernel for Sparc.

You can get the 2.6 kernel here.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

to get it to work on mandrake untar and unzip the file, then mv the folder (as root) to /usr/src/linux-<kernel version here>

then open a console and type

cd /usr/src/

rm linux

ln -s linux-<version number here> linux

cd linux

make xconfig

select the stuff you want in the kernel

make all

make modules install

make install

lilo

reboot

make sure to select your new kernel at boot.

If it works select the new kernel as the default in the mandrake control center in the boot section.