Multiple instances

SteveAmbrose

I know I read an article somewhere in the past on this issue but am coming up blank on searches. I currently have 9.2 installed on my laptop. When I look at Harddrake2 (version 9.1.1), I get 7 instances of my dvd-cdrw drive. It also shows it as SCSI even though it is not a SCSI drive. I am having no know issues with the drive as I can burn cd's and play dvd movies without problems.

My 2 questions are:

1. IS there a fix for correctly showing only one drive?

2. CAN anyone explain why my drive would show up as SCSI when it is not?

(please understand that I am new to linux and am trying to understand why the OS does what it does)

Below is the information as seen when I look at my dvd-cdrw drive with Harddrake. (I have only included the first few instances but you will get the picture):

Bus: SCSI

Location on the bus: 0:0:0

Drive capacity: burner DVD

Channel: 00

New devfs device: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd0

Floppy format: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2102

Media class: cdrom

Location on the bus: 0:0:1

New devfs device: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun1/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd1

Location on the bus: 0:0:2

New devfs device: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun2/cd

Old device file: /dev/scd2

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by SteveAmbrose

1. A bug in the kernel lists CD-RW devices causes this problem; it has no effect on the useability of the device.

Solution: Modify the kernel options used in your boot loader and append "hdclun=0" if /dev/hdc is your CD-RW device (use "hdXlun=0" for /dev/hdX).

2.It uses SCSI to communicate to write to the device. In Windows it uses SCSI as well under ASPI (advance scsi programming interface)

thinkliberty, I really do thank you for your explanations. Will fix the issues in the morning (well past my old bones bed time :D )

As for your answer to question 2, your answer tought me something I did not know. Thank you again. These boards provide a wealth of information and I will be sure to spread the word around, as you all have made my move to linux smoother than I thought possible.

Regards, Steve

Small addition: as from kernel 2.6 there is no longer a need for ide-scsi emulation.

Mandrake 10.0 uses this kernel by default, it also comes with a 2.4 kernel.

scsi is still needed in some instances like for kb3 and eroaster unless that has been changed?

I know that Linus said that scsi emulation was an ugly hack, and that it was suppose to be remove, but then it was added back until the burning apps could rewrite their apps.

I decided to go ahead and download 10CE and install it. This will be a clean install and not an upgrade from 9.2. Going through the different readme files on the burned cd, I came across this in the release-notes.txt:

- SCSI emulation is no longer necessary for ATAPI compliant CD and DVD burners in the 2.6 kernel. Any boot parameters for IDE devices to turn on SCSI emulation (hdx=ide-scsi) will be ignored by the kernel.

Once last cd is burned, I will install 10CE and as to the question:

scsi is still needed in some instances like for kb3 and eroaster unless that has been changed?

After installation, I will let you know what the answer is. Once again, thank you all for the wealth of info that you all provide.

Regards, Steve