Where'd my GNOME go?

kmc77

Here's my problem. I restarted my computer earlier to get into Windows (I know, I know - I haven't had a chance to get everything transfered over yet) Anyway, I left the room for a few minutes. My system defaults to Linux so when I came back it had already booted Linux, but was setting in a terminal (? I've been using Linux for only a couple of months now) waiting for login. I went ahead and logged in and tried to start GNOME and KDE with startx. They both opened into IceWM. I'm typing this in IceWM right now. Everything seems to be running fine (except for GNOME and KDE). I'm stumped. Can anyone shed some light on my problem, or at least point me in the right direction?

open up a command prompt and run MCC, go into software and "remove software" (no we're not removing anything) and check to make sure GNOME (and KDE) is still installed. that would be my first step...

I don't know what to tell you. Thank goodness Linux is smarter than I am. After the 5th reset, Gnome started as normal. No problems that I can find. I still wish I knew why it happened. I would appreciate any comments if anyone knows what happened or why.

If nothing else, as root you should be able to run:

# service dm start

and that will bring up the graphical login screen that will let you pick your desktop enviornment. This is the only way I can get KDE to work for my main account. It's useful for switching back and forth. As to why you had trouble? I have no idea.