Installing Mandrake 10.0 RC1

Guest Dieter

Guest Dieter

Hello,

I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 RC1 on my home computer (finally successful). :D

I noticed the following strange effects (bugs or not - I do not know):

1) In the disk partition area: I chosed "use existing partitions", Mandrake supposed to use hda14 with xfs file system for mount point "/".

But I wanted it installed on hda12 and changed the mount point for "/" to hda12. But mandrake 10.0 RC1 did not reflect that change in /etc/fstab: The system was installed on hda12 as requested, but I can't boot: /etc/fstab on the new system showed the parameters "user, noauto" for hda12 and you cannot boot with that... hda14 had been set to "defaults 1 1" which should have been applied to hda12 instead.

2) The KDE menu was nearly empty. I got the entries with a "menudrake" as root.

3) No sound in KDE with a VIA 8235 (AC97) onboard soundcard (chipset VIA KT333): The lefthand "VIA DXS" control had been set to minimum during installation. After setting it to max in kmix, the sound was ok - before I heard nothing except the computer fans.

4) Font problem in console: When I start the mc in a console from KDE, the pseudo-graphic frame in mc is displayed wrong and a lot of boxes fill the mc. Text editing also shows some "virtual" characters after the end of the lines which should not be there. Here I need :help:

5) What could be better: An automatic first run of "updatedb" during installation to fill the database used by locate. I did the "updatedb" manually (as root).

Besides that, it had been no problem to install Mandrake 10.0 on my system, even my VIA Rhine II ethnernet card had been automatically configured with DHCP (did not succeed with DHCP on SuSE 9.0). Next steps are to test my USB scanner and install the NVIDIA display driver and turboprint for my canon printer.

Dieter

Yep - same thing happened to me in regards to having "noauto" as part of the fstab entry for /usr. Took me a few minutes to figure out why none of my console commands would work, and why X wouldn't start.

Also, just like 9.2, the <alt-R> - <cursor arrow> combination keys didn't work. Changing the layout in XF86Config-4 from "en-US" to "us"solved that problem. Which is nice, as Mandrake had not published the solution when I first started using 9.2, and I had to enable keyboard switching to solve it last time.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get wireless working again (it worked great under 9.2) and how to get anti-aliased fonts to work in the window and tab text of firefox. The actual text of browsed windows is anti-aliased, but not the text in the window "frame" itself.

So far, things are looking very good in RC1. I recommend it. KDE 3.2 ROCKS!!!! It is like I have a new computer that is twice as fast, if not more. Oh - and I use keyboard shortcuts a lot, and now KDE has a GUI to work with them. It looks like I can use a nice blend of KDE and Windows shortcuts to wow and impress my friends and coworkers.

Regards,

Scott

Edited by Scott Thornley

Ok - somehow Mandrake didn't see the built in wireless card during the installation process and install the wireless utilities and other wireless support. It did manage to pick up on everything for 9.2, so some refinement is needed.

I found a blurb on Kwifimanager, urpmi'd it, picked up a few dependencies and voila!!

I am really, really liking 10.0

Scott

Edited by Scott Thornley