Openmosix & <any distro here>

jlc

Anyone have experience with OpenMosix?

http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/

I'm just wondering, there latest stable kernel or patch is for 2.4.22. I wonder if take Fedora for example uses a heavily modified 2.4.22 kernel with rh add-in's and some 2.6 kernel patches, will the patches apply nice, will it be easy to use?

I'm just rambling here, cause I keep dreaming of supercomputers :D and figure maybe i can take all my box's in my house and add this patch and well, my box will just "feel" faster. ;-)

http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/...osix-kernel.txt

So, basically the question is: "Has anyone ever tried/used OpenMosix?"

I also had 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night so I'm a little :zzz: and my mind feels a little, should i say "cloud 9" or something. :screwy:

/me reminds him self never to eat a big lunch with boss when very tired, body entering pass out state, watc............ :zzz::zzz::zzz:

Yes! I built a Beowulf using OpenMosix and *surprise* Mandrake 9.2.

It's as simple as installing 2 RPMs (but make sure you have slocate and sshd) and adding it to LILO. It would be the same with RH Fedora.

You can stop there but I'm doing more complicated stuff with my cluster, like installing MPI and highly 'techie' programs (think Computational Fluid Dynamics).

By the way, the RPM is a kernel in itself and you have to boot into it. According to the documentation using a distro kernel is almost guaranteed to fail.

In Mandrake supermount is under "file systems" in the kernel so it won't work. But it's rather buggy anyway, and in my experience the OpenMosix kernel can run all other apps. It depends on how much you *need* a customized kernel. To find out, you can also start with a vanilla kernel with OpenMosix and patch it until it stops working.

Hardware requirements are just a 100Mbit LAN or faster (Gigabit LAN recommended) the more the merrier. :D I 'borrowed' several old computers at school :jester:

Impress your friends by typing 'migrate [PID] [node]' and see that program pop up in another computer. Blow them away by typing 'ls', and show them how much memory your 'supercomputer' got! B) B) seeing the CPU loads on the nodes is also fun...

I'm still writing my experience but if you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. There is also a more detailed HOW-TO at www.linux.org under documentation >> how-to's >> openmosix how-to

Pretty soon the most powerful computers won't be just with the feds... :end::thumbs: