I Need some help installing please!

Jedd999

I downloaded mandrake 9.2 and checked the md5 sums on the cd's and everything seemed to be alright, but when I am installing the os by just having the install wizard start when I boot up the system, when it asks me to put in CD2, it pretty much stops, and it keeps telling me that it cant install this package and that package... and it doesnt really go anywhere...

I know absolutely nothing about linux... and I am finding this to be a real pain in the ass,

I can get a bare bones install to work, but that gives me nothing to work with. I am installing linux because I need all the development tools for C++ for school.

If somebody could help walk me through how I can upgrade my install (and get the gnome graphical interface and all the C++ development tools installed) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

And please keep things simple... I am a noob after all!

(o:

When I do the install, I have to remove everything, and then it asks me what I want to install, and in order for the install to finish, I have to select that I want to install just the bare bones ("especially no urpmis")... Will that pose a little bit of a problem for what you suggest I should do?!?

p.s. I tried re-downloading the second CD and reburning it 3 times at just 4X and it doesnt work, CDs 3 and 4 seem to work fine if and when it asks me to put them in, but 2 just seems to be screwed!