kde4 compositing doesn't work with Radion 7000

boatman9

After installing an ATI Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE] video card (according to lspci) and doing a fresh install of 2010.1 kde4 version I encountered a curios problem. After booting I soon noticed that the kde4 desktop icons and wallpaper seemed to be missing, however the task bar appeared normal. I could tell that the unseen icons were still there because left-click over the expected icon location would bring up the usual icon menu. While experimenting in the Guest account I found that disabling Compositing made the desktop icons and wallpaper appear.

What is Compositing and how does it cause desktop icons and wallpaper to disappear?

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but 3D desktop effects are linked to compositing.

I has similar quirkiness when using my NVidia card with KDE and Mandriva 2010.1. I disabled 3D desktop effects, compositing became disabled, and my problems went away. I guess KDE 4 is still not completely ready for prime time?