draksnapshot-applet and hald (hal daemon)

demonseth17

Hello Guys:

I'm having a little problem with draksnapshot-applet which keeps crashing and the hald daemon has some kind of problem, it isn't loading while at boot..

there's another problem, while draksnapshot is loaded the system hangs or gets into a big lag where nothing works except for the mouse (I just can move it but I can't do anything)

here's the output of the crash report

The "draksnapshot-applet" program has crashed with the following error:

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files

standalone::bug_handler() called from /usr/bin/draksnapshot-applet:168

To submit a bug report, click on the report button.

This will open a web browser window on Bugzilla where you'll find a form to fill in. The information displayed above will be transferred to that server

It would be very useful to attach to your report the output of the following command: 'lspcidrake -v'.

here's the lspcidrake -v output

[root@localhost roger]# lspcidrake -v
unknown		 : Ricoh Co Ltd|xD-Picture Card Controller [SYSTEM_OTHER] (vendor:1180 device:0852)
unknown		 : Ricoh Co Ltd|R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [SYSTEM_OTHER] (vendor:1180 device:0592 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
ricoh_mmc	   : Ricoh Co Ltd|R5C843 MMC Host Controller [SYSTEM_OTHER] (vendor:1180 device:0843 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
sdhci_pci	   : Ricoh Co Ltd|R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [SYSTEM_SDHCI] (vendor:1180 device:0822 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
ohci1394		: Ricoh Co Ltd|R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller [SERIAL_FIREWIRE] (vendor:1180 device:0832 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
b44			 : Broadcom Corporation|BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:14e4 device:170c subv:1028 subd:01d8)
ssb			 : Broadcom Corporation|BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [NETWORK_OTHER] (vendor:14e4 device:4311 subv:1028 subd:0007)
i2c_i801		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [SERIAL_SMBUS] (vendor:8086 device:27da subv:1028 subd:01d8)
ata_piix		: Intel Corporation|82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [STORAGE_IDE] (vendor:8086 device:27c4 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
iTCO_wdt		: Intel Corporation|82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge [BRIDGE_ISA] (vendor:8086 device:27b9 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
unknown		 : Intel Corporation|82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:2448)
ehci_hcd		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:27cc subv:1028 subd:01d8)
uhci_hcd		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:27cb subv:1028 subd:01d8)
uhci_hcd		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:27ca subv:1028 subd:01d8)
uhci_hcd		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:27c9 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
uhci_hcd		: Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [SERIAL_USB] (vendor:8086 device:27c8 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
shpchp		  : Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:27d6)
shpchp		  : Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:27d2)
shpchp		  : Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [BRIDGE_PCI] (vendor:8086 device:27d0)
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (vendor:8086 device:27d8 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
unknown		 : Intel Corporation|Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [DISPLAY_OTHER] (vendor:8086 device:27a6 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
Card:Intel 810 and later: Intel Corporation|Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:8086 device:27a2 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
intel_agp	   : Intel Corporation|Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub [BRIDGE_HOST] (vendor:8086 device:27a0 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
hub			 : Linux 2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb uhci_hcd|UHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0001)
hub			 : Linux 2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb uhci_hcd|UHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0001)
hub			 : Linux 2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb ehci_hcd|EHCI Host Controller [Hub|Unused|Full speed (or root) hub] (vendor:1d6b device:0002)

the hald is not letting the system mount automatically the DVDs and k3b isn't able to detect it (that's hald function and more), I can't install new packages as you can imagine...and when I load it like this

[root@localhost roger]# QDBusConnectionPrivate::connectSignal: received error from D-Bus server while connecting signal to Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::slotPropertyModified(int,QList<ChangeDescription>): org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded (Connection ":1.38" is not allowed to add more match rules (increase limits in configuration file if required))
QDBusConnectionPrivate::connectSignal: received error from D-Bus server while connecting signal to Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::slotCondition(QString,QString): org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded (Connection ":1.38" is not allowed to add more match rules (increase limits in configuration file if required))
virtual bool Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::queryDeviceInterface(const Solid::DeviceInterface::Type&) const  error:  "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice" 

virtual bool Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::queryDeviceInterface(const Solid::DeviceInterface::Type&) const  error:  "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice" 

kdeinit4: preparing to launch 

and everything gets back to normal but what about that "error" message that keeps showing on the terminal?

does anyone know how to solve this?, any ideas?

I have been using rsnapshot (which gets called from draksnapshot) over a few years and found it stable; it gets called daily/weekly/monthly from cron (or anacron) and works well. The one drawback is that it can only backup to drives it has access to, i.e. local hard disks (how much safety do you buy by backing up a computer to itself?), via local network or (for the adventurous) over the internet to somebody else.

It takes a while to fully understand the ins and outs, but from that point onwards I have never looked back -- I can always move back to state of my files of 1, 2, ..., 14 days ago (and then up to 4 month with decreasing granularity). Let me know if you need some pointers.

https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=46618

It has been reported many months ago, but apparently it's not fixed yet.

Solution: use something else instead.

how did you find that bug? I did the search and that didn't come out...maybe I wasn't as precise as you are ;) ...and pindakoe thx but I found that it won't do anything productive for me (my way of thinking)...I saw this thread and I made the decision...thx scarecrow but as I say I won't use a new thing like that...

BTW do you have any Idea why hald is giving those "errors" messages on terminal?

this hald thing is now affecting my audio, sometimes I don't have any audio at all....does anyone know why?

Give first the output of

uname -a

and then of

lsmod | grep snd

My guess it's either a pc speaker module loading and conflicting with the alsa modules, or that crap pulseaudio server is acting again...

Edited by scarecrow

Give first the output of

uname -a

and then of

lsmod | grep snd

My guess it's either a pc speaker module loading and conflicting with the alsa modules, or that crap pulseaudio server is acting again...

yes I've been using the lsmod | grep snd command to see if my sound modules were loaded and they were (comparing with lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO)...here's the output

[root@localhost roger]# uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.29.6-desktop-1mnb #1 SMP Sun Jul 5 19:57:54 EDT 2009 i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU		   T2080  @ 1.73GHz GNU/Linux
[root@localhost roger]# lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_idt	  58300  1 
snd_hda_intel		  25064  2 
snd_hda_codec		  68284  2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep			   6880  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_dummy		   2464  0 
snd_seq_oss			29504  0 
snd_seq_midi_event	  6812  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq				48912  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device		  6728  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss			37504  0 
snd_pcm				74496  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer			  20932  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss		  14428  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd					56516  15 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_
seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore			   6976  1 snd
snd_page_alloc		  8708  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
[root@localhost roger]# lspcidrake -v | fgrep -i AUDIO
snd_hda_intel   : Intel Corporation|82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (vendor:8086 device:27d8 subv:1028 subd:01d8)
[root@localhost roger]# grep sound-slot /etc/modprobe.conf
alias sound-slot-0 snd_hda_intel

there are other in case you needed it....

Give first the output of

uname -a

and then of

lsmod | grep snd

I think it is pulse audio again cuz, if been checking if everything was loaded, then try to test it and then the window got grey (like it is not responding)...and never did the test. the amarok, exaile, flash-browser-plugin start to run the file mp3(exaile, amarok), video (flash) but there's no audio, I'm not sure but I think it is pulse :huh: maybe you can tell me..thx in advance

Edited by demonseth17