Storage Media Icon

xboxboy

Hi all, I just installed Mandy 2009 KDE, I went with KDE4 despite its bad reception, I figure it probably will be the way to go in the future so get accustomised to it now.

I use to use the Storage Media icon on the KDE3 destop all the time. Lots of my work is carried around on flash drives, and I also have several hard drives installed and several partitions. The storage media icon was great, just open it up and there was all my media.

Can this be done in KDE4? I really hope so.

Thank you.

There're workarounds but no storage media, no, not like the one that was in kde3.

For removable devices, add the Device Notifier widget to the desktop or the panel, now when you plug a usb device is should show there.

As for non-removable HD, add a Folder View widget to the desktop and point it at /media or /mnt or where ever you mount your HD's.

Thanks guys. I thought this might be the case. I have to spend some time with kde 4 by the looks.

In the folder view hopefully I can rig up something with some links so I can create a 'Storage Media' file. IE an icon called windows raid array, which points to the array.

Thanks all,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all, I just installed Mandy 2009 KDE, I went with KDE4 despite its bad reception, I figure it probably will be the way to go in the future so get accustomised to it now.

I use to use the Storage Media icon on the KDE3 destop all the time. Lots of my work is carried around on flash drives, and I also have several hard drives installed and several partitions. The storage media icon was great, just open it up and there was all my media.

Can this be done in KDE4? I really hope so.

Thank you.

Nail on the head xboxboy. It can't be done properly any more and it is one of the reasons I am now an XFCE user not a KDE user. I even posted a bug about the the Device Notification Icon not working as I believe it should (ie like KDE3 storage media) and I was told (quite rudely I felt) that that is the way it is supposed to work and I would have to get used to it or go elsewhere - well, I wen't elsewhere :P .

Edited by viking777