First Boot after Install Hangs [solved]

Ross Youngblood

I made it through the Live Install...

I am very pleased with the partition manager tool on the Live CD install. I selected the "custom" and "advanced" options, as I have been using Unix/Linux over the years, and think I know what I am doing... so this tool makes me feel all-powerful and important when in reality I should probably be using the default settings, as I haven't really researched what an optimum size for the various mount points are these days. For example I never liked the /var partition much, so it seems too large. However it seems to do a nice job of sizing the partitions.

The other thing I was pleased with was the grub boot loader. I've normally had issues with Windows and Linux both messing with the MBR. Ive given up on trying to get the two to co-exists peacefully, so I'm glad to see a Linux boot configuration tool that is nice an clean. I've decided at this point to try and do all my Windows stuff from within a Virtual Box image. I'll have to be *real* careful not to let the Windows installation disks poke at my MBR after I get this set up. If I recall it always seems easier to clean up MBR stuff in Linux after letting Microsoft "have its way" with the disk. I really don't want to go there again this time...

I also am pleased with the "Please press Enter to confirm removal of CD media" on a reboot.

After the reboot, the splash screen with my boot options looks fine, and the system does a good job of preening the hard disk partitions, but when it starts up the X window server, my display goes into this ugly checkerboard pattern (after a short bit of the cool whirling Icon), and the X-server/or system... simply hangs.

I have a nice iPhone image of this nifty screen (Possibly upsidedown/sideways).

I'll poke around to see if there are boot options I can use to modify the screen settings... seems the installation can't seem to find the correct video settings for me by itself. (Too Bad for me :sick2:

post-37974-1231363075_thumb.jpg

It seems that the Xorg ATI1350 or later probed value for the my HD4350 card isn't quite appropriate. Shame on Diamond/ATI.

(Or shame on me... I haven't checked that the Diamond Radeon HD4350 is compatable with Mandriva.

At any rate after running drakex11, and setting to Xorg|Vesa, I now get a screen on first boot asking what Country I'm in... Then it Hangs... <sigh>

More digging.

It's all running now.

I booted into Linux (failsafe) and typed in "drakx11" (someone please correct me if I spelled this incorrectly... a newbie would be dead if they typed the wrong command).

At any rate this allowed me to change the configuration to Xorg!Vesa... its now 7:20PM, and not only have I got Mandriva running fine, but I was able to get VirtualBox installed using the "Install Software" package manager. There is a tip to get the Ethernet Drivers out on the web and generate a vista.iso file so that you can enable the Ethernet driver, I recommend you fetch that as well.

I also used Brasero disk burner to make *.iso images of my two (actually three) Windows installation media. I have a Windows 95 disk, a Windows XP disk and a Windows Vista disk.

After doing that, I was able to install both Windows XP and Windows Vista into two virtual machines simultaneously. All of this software is *much* more mature and usable than it was a couple of years ago when I first tried it.

Once I get the Virtual Machines up... it won't be long before I migrate my Laptop to Mandriva... finally a stable operating system again!

-R