NTFS External HDD mount problem / SSH

Guest Helodia

Guest Helodia

Hi,

I just installed Mandriva with KDE. It works quite well but I cannot mount my external USB HDD (2 NTFS partitions) as a user. I just want to be able to read these partitions.

It works perfectly as root but I cannot access it with other users. I already try to edit fstab, to mount with "-o user" option, to edit permission manually, etc. Nothing works ! :wall:

Another problem : I asked the same question to my brother, who tried to help me by taking control of my PC but he did not achived to do it (he has Ubuntu I think). He tries with SSH. I installed SSHD, run it but we cannot log in. (even me with "ssh fakeuser@localhost" doens not work : he asks for a password and it says always that the password is bad.

Edited by Helodia

To get read access by a normal user add the uid option in your fstab file (eg: uid=500 where 500 is the user id).

Regarding the ssh problem you have to use

ssh -l user "remote computer"

and then enter the log in password for that user.

Edited by Soka

What did you set your security level at? If you're not sure, open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# draksec

Mandriva's graphical security application, draksec, will open a window. Try reseting your security level to "Standard" and see if that helps.

The problem is that you are dealing with external hard drives here which don't have persistent settings in fstab that you can edit. Such drives are dynamically mounted when attached and powered on and a transient fstab entry is auto-generated for the device according to certain "udev rules" in mdv 2005 and 2006. For 2007, there is no entry in fstab for dynamically mounted drives so there shouldn't be anything to edit. When the device is removed, the fstab entry should disappear. There may be some ways around this problem but I'm hoping that resetting your security level to "Standard" will solve the problem.

Edited by pmpatrick

Guest Helodia
For 2007, there is no entry in fstab for dynamically mounted drives so there shouldn't be anything to edit. When the device is removed, the fstab entry should disappear. There may be some ways around this problem but I'm hoping that resetting your security level to "Standard" will solve the problem.

I was in "High" security mode and I tried yesterday standard and poor. Do I have to logout / login again for these change to make an effect ?

Could you already explain or give a link to an explanation of your "long" solution ?

Thanks,

Helodia ;)

Try rebooting with the lower security setting and see if it works. If not, I think you would have to delve into the udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d which are all XML configuration files. Those files should control mounting behavior. You could also try making yourself a member of the "disk" group since any usb drive device files generated by udev would probably be members of the "disk" group.