Files/Folder contents not updating

jagwah

I have this strange issue, which I'll do my best to try to explain, and maybe one of you kind gentleman or ladies, could help me out.

Let say I open up a new kedit document, save it to my 'Documents' folder (any folder will do), if I then open the Document folder the file that I just saved there will not be there, well not until I hit the reload/refresh button, then it will show up.

I use Ccrypt to encrypt/decrypt (as you may guess) certain files on my PC, when it encrypts a file, it adds the .cpt extension to the file, however, when I do this the file/file extension will not change, again until I hit the reload button, and until I do hit the reload button, if I open the file it will be blank, and if I hover my pointer over it it will display a padlock on the file icon, but once I hit reload button all will be normal. The same also happens when doing the reverse, encrypting the file.

Also today, I was checking a newly created log file, and I just checked the file properties to see the modified date, as I had just basically modified the file, however it didn't show the correct modified date/time, again, until I hit the reload button.

As you can see all these things are similar, so, I ask, whats going on?

No, I open it after.

I had this with 2006 as well, while I was messing around with it, I found that some installs it would work fine, next install it would show the signs I describe above. My other machine has 2007 installed on it as well, although it is the PowerPack version, (that should't matter) but it works fine in this regard.

oh, and yes, konqueror.

Edited by jagwah

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason konqueror is caching the status of the files, and when you force the reload it rechecks the file. But I don't know why konqueror would be doing this, or for that matter how to fix it. Well, I could tell you how to fix it, but you wouldn't like that, because my answer would be "use gnome" ;) :P

Well, I could tell you how to fix it, but you wouldn't like that, because my answer would be "use gnome"

:D, well, I'm going to reinstall this weekend, but before that I will give gnome a whirl, although I have tried it in the past but didn't like it, well not as much as KDE, maybe feels to minimalistic or something, felt 'bare' or maybe KDE was just more like what I was used to, annyway I will give it another look even if just out of curiosity. Thanks.

try turn of cache in konqueror ...

Thanks, I tried that, but no change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I have reinstalled Mandriva 2007 (just messing around, experimenting with a few things before the new releases) and this problem, what ever it was, is now non existent. This time around everything is working flawlessly, not that Mandriva was ever really troublesome for me, just last time I had a couple of strange, annoying issues.