help adding a network printer

r_balest

guys, i'm totally newb in linux.my boss wants me to try this out so we can reduce the total license...

Okay, i'm using mandriva 2006. and I've set it up including networks, samba [so that the linux client can browse to windows share folders], etc etc. But i realize that our client / users must be able to print. I attach my printer [hp Laserjet 1320] on a windows workstation [ip 192.168.9.xx] and share it. I install cups and went to firefox, i typed: http://localhost:631. the cups page showed and i click add printer, choose windows network, on the address, i typed: smb://192.168.9.xx/hpLJ1320 -> my share name printer.

Shortly, I sent a test page to the printer, but there's no reaction at all.. Can anybody help me here? Thanks...

Have you tried running Mandriva Control Center? You can do this either by selecting "Configure My Computer" from the menu's or running the command mcc from a terminal/console.

From here, you can configure and add printers - I believe under Hardware or System. The interface my be better than that of the CUPS configurator, and also may do some other things you need to have done without you having to figure it all out ;)

What's the output from this command:

rpm -qa | grep cups

can you post the results? Also, I tend to use System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop/Peripherals/Printers to configure mine. Down the bottom is an Administrator Mode button that you need to click first to add the printer.

However, make sure cups is installed first, else you'll get an error message.

@ian: here is the result:

libgnomecups-0.2.0-1mdk

libcups2-1.1.23-17mdk

cups-common-1.1.23-17mdk

libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.2.0-1mdk

cups-1.1.23-17mdk

something odd here, if i typed printerdrake on the terminal, the resultĺl be:

¨lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused¨

that´s why i can´t open mcc and peripheral [printers]...

any ideas? thanks

Try:

chkconfig --list cups

and see if it reports "on" against the runlevels, in particular 3 and 5. Then check with:

service cups status

to see if it's running, and:

netstat -tan

and look for port 631. This will also verify cups is running.

@ian:

my result of chkconfig --list cups is off from 0-6

and my result of netstat -tan on port 631 is 0.0.0.0:* STATE:LIST

I wonder why, if i type service cups start, the message will be:

Starting CUPS Printing System : [ OK ]

Waiting for CUPS Daemon getting ready......... -> this keeps going without stop...

I still cant print on my windows based network printer. As well as I cant find the administrator button on configure my desktop -> peripheral -> printer... [ i logged in as root, does this effect? ]

If you're logged in as root, you won't get the button. It's there when you're as a normal user.

Strange that the service won't start though. Have you got all updates on your system?

If you have network/internet connection, and it's fast enough, go to System/Configuration/Packaging/Updates and then select a mirror, maybe one that looks roughly close to you based on country location.

Then select all updates and download. Once applied, you might find a lot of fixes. I've just applied some updates this morning, and my system had some cups updates within them.