Where can Linux lead you in life?

gem-in-eyez

just wanted to start a chat on the use, practicality and future of Linux and our own personal growth.

I am looking at some certifications that are offered and was wondering if anybody has any and if so what kind and where has it lead you in life.

There is obviously a higher demand for linux now that it has been shown & proven to be just as good if not better than windows, apple, and the other top systems...but where has it lead you guys n gals in the professional fields?

I don't have any yet, but I am supposed to be taking my RHCE course/exam shortly. This only covers Red Hat Linux though, but I suppose is good ground considering that Mandriva is Red Hat based, as well as CentOS, Fedora, and probably others too.

The most diverse one is to do LPIC, which will cover all distros. This shows that you are distro independant, and I heard that it's more difficult than RHCE - but cheaper too.

LPIC and RHCE are the most sought after certification, but RHCE is a bit more in demand afaik. I don't have any of these certifications, nor do I plan to acquire one, but most folks I know prefer RHCE.

In this forum, there are not many certified linux engineers afaik, thus a better place to ask this kind of question might be the e.g fedoraforum where you will find lots of RHCE guys. They might be able to tell you why they chose RHCE over LPIC and what benefits/disadvantages the certifications might have for your IT-career.

This is slsightly off-topic, but the use of Linux led to growth in my career in an unexpected way - I never worked with Linux, only played with it in my spare time. I have no computer qualifications whatsoever, but I was hired into the writing firm I work for now because of my knowledge of Linux and open source as they needed a writer to produce press writings and articles on the subjects.

As for qualifications though, Certcity has touted the RHCE to be the most influential qualification to have in 2006 - I think that the RHCE, when combined with Linux+ (perhaps) is the way to go for Linux certification. For basic stuff, the OICDL (open ICDL) is pretty good - but all it teaches you is how to use open office and firefox really :P

Awesome, I want to do some sort of a certification and I was thinking about linux since I am sticking with trying to understand it and get it working and all. I guess for a newb like me it is the amount of research you must do in order to get a proper reading source that helps you. I find this is quite overwhelming for me. Where, with Win, All I really needed to do is go to my local bookstore and depending what os I was using, pick the book relating to what I needed. When I am there for my linux box, I find that I must go through pages and see if the ddocumentation matches what I am looking for, for my box in particular. Some books are general books on the whole jist of what I am trying to understand, others are bibles and really go indepth on the particular subject. I guess with all the different flavors and the branches of the main versions of linux, ie: redhat, slackware, Mandrake, debian, etc ...., It feels a bit discouraging. But just a bit. Once you find the right source, then you are on point and away you go.

But back to the certs... I am definately interested in getting one, just in what is still the brain drain. The more I probe on linux the more it intrigues me. But so far from what I gather, be it intentionally sought after or just from pure enjoyment of tinkering with, It seems to open doors for you. With windows I definately feel it has become greatly saturated.

Like at my work there must be atleast 5 admins in windows as a pose to just one in linux (one of my supervisors) and her assistant.

But either way your comments have given me something to consider and look in to and I completely appreciate it. :thumbs:

The certs aren't easy, much much harder than the Windows one from what I have heard and read. I'm hoping when I get around to taking my RHCE that I do actually pass it. I'm constantly using Linux at work everyday now, have even switched my machines completely, and use vmware for any Windows stuff if I really have to.

Plus, I've ended up doing all our Linux projects since I started six months ago. Which is neat, has helped me learn a lot more quicker.

ian there's a book out that covers the material you take for the RHCE. From what it says only 60% of the people pass it on their second try. There's also a test you can take on the redhat site that lets you know how ready you are. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I took some of the test, I also did the course material from a book and there tests. So far I'm averaging about 88%. Not sure what the pass rate is.

You're just too good man :P

I meant 88% on the RHCE book I've been reading, not taken the Red Hat ones yet :D

I've only been doing this Linux stuff a year so far, well, since I joined this board! :P

It's OK I think, I only know probably a little compared to most people, such as yourself, tyme, mysti, ix, and many many people on this board. I'm prob just above newbie level :P

Frankly, I know very little. But, I break my box less often and recover it more often when I play. 90% of computer work is not to panic just because your kernel does! :lol: