New kde-3.5.2 by MDE

mmodem

At this moment kde-3.5.2 for x86_64 is done and is being uploaded.

The kde-3.5.2 for x86 packages are almost all done, ill start upload the ones i have made and the restant will be finished tomorrow.

cheers,

Please read the Practical Posting Guidelines (the pinned topic at the top of the Workbench forum) before you post in this thread.

Since this is not only a developers topic but also an thread were users ask install/usability questions make sure to put your questions in a clear and coherent form.

Edited by devries

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

I installed 3.5.2 an hour ago and found out a couple of bugs (maybe you already know about them or not).

When I try to log in via KDM and give a wrong password, it doesn't say anything. Only a blank box appears under those input fields. I haven't got time to install any new KDM themes, so i'm using MDE theme right now, could it be related to that? The same problem was in 3.5.1.MDE.

Noatun still crashes aRts, and XMMS just freezes. I tried XMMS before crashing aRts with noatun.

But KDE is cool on my desktop (just moved from GNOME to KDE 3.5.1 and then 3.5.2).

Good work people.

I think i must explain a few things regarding upgrading to mde kde.

Because there have been some issues with it.

Start by adding all needed repositories.

1. Because mandriva updates only updates kernel source and not kernel.

one have to checkl if there is akernel upgrade available and install it with mcc together with the matchinh kernel source.

And then reboot into the new kernel before proceeding.

2. I would also stronly recomend that one starts with upgrading to mde xorg before anything else, also using mcc.

OBS! Because urpmi cannot automatically select any needed 32bit compatibility libs that might need to be upgarded at same time, one has to chack thoos for upgrade manually in mcc)

3. After this is done should a normal urpmi --auto.select work

If any warings appear it is most likely caused by some 32bit lib that is installed.

We will only provide the needed 32bit compatibility libs in 64bit repo to be able to make a clean installed mandriva 64bit upgrade.

If any other 32bit lib is needed one must add the 32bit repo also.

We have talked with the official mandriva devs about the problem in 64bit with 32bit compatibility libs, but the only solution thay have given is how to force urpmi to only upgrade 64bit.

But in my point of view that is not a solution, it is only a workaround.

the real soultion is to fix urpmi to handle this.

Or to use smart instead becuase smart do make theese upgrades automatically.

Couldn't wait for all packages to be available. Had to install it (and now I have no kmail :D ).

Anyway everything works fine. Only strange thing is that the ksensor digits in kicker look a lot smaller. And kde 3.5.2 kdepim packages are not there yet (and kdeaddon). No other things that I notice.

since we now build 64bit first then rebuild for32bit

is all 64bit there already but not all 32bit yet

that seems like an odd order to do it in...building for 32bit first would be the better way of going, don't ya think (since 32bit systems are more prevelant)? or is it a matter of having a 64bit system available and no 32bit (so you have to cross compile)?

Couldn't wait for all packages to be available. Had to install it (and now I have no kmail :D ).

Anyway everything works fine. Only strange thing is that the ksensor digits in kicker look a lot smaller. And kde 3.5.2 kdepim packages are not there yet (and kdeaddon). No other things that I notice.

Ditto!

Damn, no kdepim - yet! I'll have to work out how I use jpilot, as I normally use kontact/kpilot.

Still, looks good and so far is working excellently. :)

regards

John

When will kdepim and kdegraphics be available?

Ha! I'd forgotten about the kde graphics - no wonder I couldn't get the wasp icons to work!

Though I notice that there seems to be a missing library in kdeaddons - the libkdeaddons1-akregator-3.5.2-2.mdk2006.0.mde.i586 is the error "thrown up". Though I do suspect that it might be my own stupidity in forgetting to install something else!

regards

John

Libkdeaddons is available but you can't install it because it's dependent on kdepim-akregator and kdepim-akregator is not available. :)

Ah, that explains it then :(

It's really weird though, I'm finding all sorts of anomalies. As this is the first time I've tried to do this "in anger".

Trying to get round the lack of kdepim/kontact etc and stuff like amorak.

I've managed to get round the music thing, as I install JuK and worked out how to make it do random plays from my mp3 collection (well, actually FLAC collection - mp3's are crap), but I hit another dependency problem with Opengroupware (it's got a facility for connection to Palm devices i.e. my Treo 650). Something about libpq.so missing, and as I've just been "playing" I haven't sussed that one yet.

So I think it's time for me to go and clean out my fish - their weekly "treat" (not).

regards

John

p.s. Ha! maybe, if I had the faintest idea of what I was doing, these problems would be trivial. Unfortunately, I don't and they aren't either - damn!

Edited by bigjohn

If you get an error about a missing file go to: http://rpm.pbone.net/, select Mandriva as your distro and look for it. In this case libpq.so is in libpq4-devel-8.0.7-0.1.20060mdk.i586.rpm. Install that rpm and if that was the only error everything should work again.

As for amarok, I have no problem with it (though I build it from source this time so don't know of any problems with the mde rpm. If the mde version doesn't work try the one at mcnl http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2006/i586/

About the missing kdepim and kdegraphics: patience. Perhaps they have internet connections problems or their mother in laws dropped unexpectedly by. I'm sure the package will appear in the end. :)

If you get an error about a missing file go to: http://rpm.pbone.net/, select Mandriva as your distro and look for it. In this case libpq.so is in libpq4-devel-8.0.7-0.1.20060mdk.i586.rpm. Install that rpm and if that was the only error everything should work again.

Nah, that didn't work either. It's like it's going into some sort of circular dependency problem. I got the rpm you suggested, but then it started with another error about libpq.so.3 which, according to rpm.pbone.net is only available for 10.X - I tried the rpm for that and gone a different error again.

As for amarok, I have no problem with it (though I build it from source this time so don't know of any problems with the mde rpm. If the mde version doesn't work try the one at mcnl http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/sources/official/2006/i586/

Great, thanks for that devries. I got the 1.4.0 beta_rc1 version with various engines from the link that you posted. It's just reading my collection now :)

About the missing kdepim and kdegraphics: patience. Perhaps they have internet connections problems or their mother in laws dropped unexpectedly by. I'm sure the package will appear in the end. :)

Yup, I'm trying to be (though in truth I'm a really impatient person ;) ). I noticed that some parts have appeared, but not the bits that I need - yet. Obviously someones been busy.

The annoying bit was, that when I noticed the absence of the kdepim and kdegraphics, I thought that I'd just switch into gnome, uninstall the 3.5.2 components and then install the 3.5.1 stuff instead. It just gave me an error that said it couldn't install the 3.5.1 stuff so I just re-installed the 3.5.2 bits that were on the mirror and left it at that. It wouldn't be a problem if I could get the Opengroupware working, but as I already mentioned, thats being a pain as well!

I wonder if I go to the local shop, they might sell me a large box of patience - It might work {waynesworldquote}and monkeys' might fly out of my butt!{/waynesworldquote} :D :lol2::lol2:

regards

John