Can't Change 2006 login screen [solved]

cage47

I've looked around the new system and done some searches online. I just can't seem to find a way to change the default Mandriva login screen to show users. The default KDE kdm used to show all users with an avatar but the Mandriva login screen only has the prompts for user name and password. I'd like to find a way to get the KDE kdm to work. I've looke in the mcc and any settings I change don't seem to help.

I have the same problem with KDE on 2005LE. One of my machines was an upgrade from 10.1, so that kept the original login screen style. (Easy to use - even my 3-year old son can click on his icon and type a simple password.)

However, the options in a "pure" 2005LE install don't include this - the only choices you have in the control centre are KDM or XDM, neither of which do this.

Any ideas (a) why Mandriva decided to remove this option, and (b) how to get it back again?

The problem is that for some stupid reason Mandriva has made a default of kdm using a theme when none has been installed or selected.

You have to go into /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc as root. In kdmrc (opened with kwrite) scroll down and look for a line which reads .....UseTheme=true........and change it to......UseTheme=false.

This problem comes up repeatedly so perhaps the solution should go into tips.

Cheers. John.

You have to go into /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc as root.  In kdmrc (opened with kwrite) scroll down and look for a line which reads .....UseTheme=true........and change it to......UseTheme=false.

This problem comes up repeatedly so perhaps the solution should go into tips.

!!!YEESSSSS!!! This needs to be pinned, tacked, highlighted, bookmarked and shown with bright lights!! This is an ANNOYING problem and this easy fix needs to be put somewhere handy. Got my login back to normal.

Marvellous, John. Thank you very much. I will try this out as soon as I return home.

Edit - Worked like a charm. I also had to look up where to add your own custom user icons, though. It was /usr/share/mdk/faces - you can modify the contents of this folder as root.

Edited by sellis

I've posted a summary to Tricks and Tips, here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=29240

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
:D Does anybody know if this is possible with gnome, because the above are kde files?

This isn't Gnome, or KDE, or anything specific. KDM, GDM, XDM, name-it-here, are login managers and nothing more than that. The issue above is just bad packaging and not a KDE issue.

:D Does anybody know if this is possible with gnome, because the above are kde files?

This isn't Gnome, or KDE, or anything specific. KDM, GDM, XDM, name-it-here, are login managers and nothing more than that. The issue above is just bad packaging and not a KDE issue.

I understand you, even though i can't find gdmrc to edit, looked everywhere in the Gconfig-editor with no sign and the Boot-init :wall: