FireFox 1.0.4 available

theo

download from mozilla website

unpack where you want it

click on firefox-installer (or "./firefox-installer" in terminal)

then drag the new FIREFOX file as shortcut to desktop (if KDE)

or make a shortcut to the FIREFOX file any other way

can also install it as root in /usr/share

i think then you can run it with the "firefox" command, but I'm not sure,

haven't done that (oh lazy me)

This is the way I do that:

first of all, I urpme'd firefox (IMHO rpm are updated too late for critical applications as firefox)

then, I download the tar.gz file from mozilla's website

- uncompress in my home directory

- log as root

- ./firefox-installer in the earlier extracted directory

- install in /usr/share/firefox

to do just one time:

- create the /usr/share/firefox (as root)

- create a (sym) link in /usr/bin that pointed to /usr/share/firefox/firefox (named firefox) to access firefox directly in a terminal (and auto-find of others applications)

now, you can create an icon on your desktop

or just type 'firefox' in a terminal

the next updates will be mega easy:

- download (the tar.gz file)

- extract (the tar.gz file)

- as root execute the installer (./firefox-install)

- choose the /usr/share/firefox directory (that already exists)

- the installer will upgrade automatically the folder/firefox

that's all (your icon and/or link in /usr/bin stay good)

if you install plugins (acrobat, flash, java, ...), think to install your plugins elsewhere of the firefox folder (i.e.: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins) and create a (sym) link named plugins in the /usr/share/firefox folder that pointed to your plugins folder (i.e.: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins). easy and it works for all users (to check it: type about:plugins in the nav bar of firefox).

you can do it too in your home directory (/home/nick/.mozilla/plugins) if you prefer to do it only for you (the other users of your system will not have access to the plugins).

just do it one time and you'll be in peace.

Theo.

why blame mozilla? my firefox displays 1.04 and I can download/install all I want!

i just installed it from the tar.gz file, the (only one) version of mozilla ...

you would owe blame the rpm packager rather ...

just my 2 eurocents.

Edited by theo

Well, that's amazingly stupid of them. Sometimes I really don't understand mozilla.org at all, I'm thinking of switching back to Galeon...

it's not mozilla's fault, my friend. they're trying to keep you secure. to do that, they need to make sure you're running the version that contains all the security patches. the easiest way to do this is via version number. I know, I spend my days trying to figure out how to check versions of software in Windows to make sure certain service packs have been applied :zzz:

perhaps MDV need to hack in the version number...shouldn't be that hard. Or *gasp* just compile 1.0.4 against 10.2 and put that in the security updates.

Edited by tymark

besides you can still download themes etc from the site, it doesnt totally deny you.

you just have to save them locally and then file > install for extensions, and drag and drop the themes into the theme window.

last time i checked it actually told you this in the warning message on the site.

Edited by scoopy

besides you can still download themes etc from the site, it doesnt totally deny you.

you just have to save them locally and then file > install for extensions, and drag and drop the themes into the theme window.

last time i checked it actually told you this in the warning message on the site.

There was no such thing in the warning message. <<edited due to the post I was responding to being edited>>

How 'bout a screeny?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

sorry, didn't realise the check was to guard against the exploit, just thought it was standard vendor stupidness (use New Shiny Everything or we won't let you in). Fred has hacked Cooker's firefox to report 1.0.4 now, I think he's going to do another update too, if I'm understanding the Cooker ML thread about this issue right.