Network Problem with 10.1 [solved]

Guest davcefai

Guest davcefai

I have set up Mandrake 10.1 on a PV6EMD (socket 370) motherboard with a Celeron 950. The objective is to use this to replace my existing Windows based comms server which connects 5 PCs to the Internet.

However I cannot get this machine to connect to the network. It has an on-board Realtek 8139 chip but disabling this and using another 8139 or an 8029 results in the same symptoms.

Using DHCP I get a "not connected" status. The DHCP server (Winroute) "sees" the PC but gives it a lease which expires in 00:00. Pinging other machines gives me "network is unreachable"

While booting it sits for a long time on "bringing up interface eth0", then zcip probes for 127.255.255.255 and claims that address.

If I assign a static address (outside the DHCP scope) eth0 is brought up OK but I still cannot ping any machines, getting "destination host unreachable" The DHCP server still "sees" the PC and assigns it the same addrsss as before, also with a zero lease time.

I have installed twice, the first time with 2 NICS and the second with just the one (to simplify things) and have even tried to configure networking manually. Same results each time.

The machine works OK if I install Win 98.

I remember having network problems when I first installed Linux (Mandrake 9.0) but my Mandrake box works perfectly well and th 10.1 I'm running now was installed from the same CDs.

Can anybody help please?

Guest davcefai

I get sit0: unknown hardware address type 776 (twice)

then:

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:11:5b:4a:a9:92 (I assume this is the MAC address)

Sending on LPF/eth0/00:11:5b:4a:a9:92

Sending on Socket/fallback

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 Port 67 Interval 8

5 more similar lines with different intervals

then:

No DHCPOFFERS received

No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

The LED on the hub seems to blink with each DHCPDISCOVER.

When I run the command the DHCP server registers this MAC address, assigns it 192.168.0.3 but no host name and "expires in 00:00"

Confused.....

Guest davcefai

8139too is loading OK.

lsmod|grep 8139 gives me:

8139too 20928 0

mii 4224 1 8139too

My working box gives:

8139too 21152 0

mii 4128 1 8139too

More ideas will be VERY welcome.

Guest davcefai

Is it possible that the fault lies with the motherboard? I have booted using Knoppix 3.2 and have the same problem.

Knoppix detects eth0 but seems unable to configure it. Nevertheless the DHCP server assigns it 192.168.0.3, no name, zero lease time.

I then reserved 192.168.0.3 for a computer named "nonesuch" and rebooted Rama (the problem machine" This time it got 192.168.0.4 but again with zero lease time.

:oops: Edited reserved address, which I misspelt.

Edited by davcefai

When you say the DHCP server assigns an address, are you getting this information from the DHCP server itself, or from the client?

Could this be a speed/duplexing auto-negotiation problem?

Try

mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD eth0

(or one of the options, depending on whether you have 100 or 10 Mbs, half or full duplex : 100baseTx-HD, 100baseTx-FD, 10baseT-FD or 10baseT-HD)

Chris

Guest davcefai

I'm getting the info from the DHCP server. Tried mii-tool with various possibilites, no joy. Network is unreachable.

However I have noticed something. The on-board LAN chip is an 8100 but is detedted as an 8139, both by Windows and by Linux. Could this have a bearing on the problem?

Guest davcefai

Solved it!

I added

acpi=off noapic

to the append line in lilo and it's up and running.

Not sure whether the acpi=off is necessary, adding apic did the trick. I found hints in google searches that this might help.

Thanks to all who tried to help. :thanks:

Now I need to find out what apic means....