Tips&Tricks Fun with PPP.

aru

tobyink

Frequent user

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:20 pm Post subject: Fun with PPP.

I'm not going to explain how to get PPP working -- that's a long topic. Instead, I shall assume that you have PPP working and further still, you are using wvdial as your dialer (if not, why not??? Very Happy )

As root, create a file called /root/dialer.sh. This should contain the following text.

Code:

#!/bin/bash

while :

do

echo "Press enter to dial again..."

read wvdial NAME_OF_YOUR_ISP

clear

done

Fill in the name of your ISP appropriately. If you miss it out wvdial will just use your default connection.

Still as root run this command to make it executable:

chown root:pppusers /root/dialer.sh && chmod 754 /root/dialer.sh

This script just waits for you to press Enter and then dials your ISP. Easy. The fun part comes next -- we're going to give this script a virtual console!

If you've not tried it before, you can use Ctrl+Alt+Fx (where x is any number between 1 and 12) to switch between several "virtual consoles". Your graphical interface usually lives on virtual console 7. Usually virtual consoles 1 to 6 are used for text-based logins. The rest are usually not used at all, but double check -- maybe something interesting is there!

We are going to run this script on virtual console 11. If you've already got something important there, maybe you might want to try some other console -- 8, 9 or 10 for example.

As root, open up /etc/inittab and add this line (it's best to add it just below all the lines about "respawn" and "mingetty")

11:2345:respawn:/bin/open -c 11 -w -- /root/dialer.sh

Save the file. Now, still as root, run this command:

kill -HUP 1

Everything should be good now. You should be able to dial into your ISP by just switching to VC 11 (Ctrl+Alt+F11) and hitting Enter. Then you can switch back to your graphical interface with Ctrl+Alt+F7 and do all your fun browsing.

To disconnect, just go back to VC11 and hit Ctrl+C.

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:43 am Post subject:

Useless in my opinion because you can control internet connexion more easily with the "ppplights" (I think that's the name) gnome applet. Still, it is an interesting research and accomplishment, that you've done. Good.

Yves.

sisob

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:06 am Post subject:

I just have the modemlights gnome applet set up as desctibed here http://sisob.dyndns.org/index.php?section=...age=modemlights , except that when i click the button it runs 'sudo wvdial' and when I click it again it runs 'killall wvdial'

The great thing is that if i logout of gnome i'm still connected when i log back in.

theYinYeti

Senior user

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:19 pm Post subject:

When I click on modemlights, it executes

Code:

kppp -q -c "myConnexion"

and when I click again, it executes

Code:

kppp -k

where "myConnexion" is the name of my connexion as configured in kppp. Besides, kppp is parametered so that is iconifies when connexion is established. That way, kppp is near invisible.

Yves.

rolf

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 5:13 pm Post subject:

I'd have to say the howto explicates a number of features of scripting, permissions, and the desktop. While not a project that fits my current usage, the insights are helpful.

arusabal

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:35 pm Post subject:

I was the first (*) who voted that the howto was useful, not for what is focused, I use a completely different way to do the same thing, but for how is focused, what provides, and which ideas are used ...**I subscribe what rolf has said above**

I also have to confess that I've stolen part of your bash-script for a function in a copy-audioCDs bash script that I wrote yesterday . I hope that your howto is under the GPL lincense, isn't it? Rolling Eyes

(*) Cool

tobyink

Frequent user

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:26 pm Post subject:

theYinYeti wrote:

Useless in my opinion because you can control internet connexion more easily with the "ppplights" (I think that's the name) gnome applet.

I find that it's too easy to accidently disconnect when the dialer is up in X, so I like to have the dialer on a different VC. That's why I posted this. It's also handy because I have links (a text mode browser) on VC 10, so I can quickly dial up and browse without using X.

My next tip/trick will be less weird Wink

bquark

Frequent user

Post Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:27 pm Post subject:

I spent sometime trying to get Mandrake 8.0 configured for a low memory 120 Mhz pentium. That means no KDE or GNOME. I ended up using wvdial in a VC, so this trick would have been very nice. Smile

On a 256 MB machine I just use kppp because I like to watch the statistics graph.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).