what's a good firewall?

curtis e. bear

when you finished your firewall, try to go to this link http://www.grc.com/default.htm

and click the shieds up to check your systems security. It will scan your pc from that site, and will give a summary of what had been done...

Stealth with windows and linux. How? two layered firewall. Just hardware in linux and sygate with hardware in windows.

firestarter is very good - I've also used that in the past.  It does really require you to use X though - which may be fine and, if you find shorewall pretty general, then you will find much the same in firestarter imho...

In what way does it require me to use X? Or should I say, "what's X"???

:cheesy::mr-green:

Kristi

X is a graphical server, specifically in mandrake 10.1 you'll have X.org - it's what draws the GUI on your screen. specifically, for firestarter you have to have some parts of the gnome desktop installed (i.e. gtk2). It should be in the Mandrake repo's, and makes setting up a firewall very easy.

X is a graphical server, specifically in mandrake 10.1 you'll have X.org - it's what draws the GUI on your screen. specifically, for firestarter you have to have some parts of the gnome desktop installed (i.e. gtk2). It should be in the Mandrake repo's, and makes setting up a firewall very easy.

Oh, yeah, I vaguely remember that. But it's all automatic so it simply doesn't mater.

Krsiti

• 2 months later...
Guest Willard1975

Don't forget MonMotha's IPTABLES script. Maybe not so easy but higly customizable. Most configuration is done in the beginning of the script and is explained pretty good. There's a mailing list and WIKI so the support is fairly good. Have been using it for the last two years and have had little problems.

http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

/Willard.

I have a hardware firewall that runs Linux Coldfire, and that works quite well. However, as it's a hardware firewall, it's totally separate from my Linux installations, so means I have more resources free on my system for other things! :D

HAHAHAHAHA

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

suckers! :beer:

tested my pc through shields-up with all their tests (not just the Windows specific one :D)

all is stealthed apart from one port that reports as closed*

Running Shorewall (that came with mdk) with some ports open for file sharing, everything else is on lockdown.

IDENT

Closed Your computer has responded that this port exists but is currently closed to connections.

Edited by solarian