OpenOffice 3.2 - now with less Microsoft envy

spinynorman

I've been using the 3.1.1, it came with mandi 2010 and itÅ› like they converted the Open Office in MS Office, damn it has almost all the tools and better I don't have to be finding buttons and lots of menus just for 1 thing, pretty handy the new Open Office, if I tested this and feel good, can't wait to have the 3,2 version

You can always install the binary edition. Or, you can also use go-openoffice which boasts even greater MS compatibility.

http://go-oo.org/download/

I haven't used go-openoffice. I changed to open office as I was sick of continually changing file formats...ie. Files I created under Windows 98 are now unreadable by the later Office programs.

I am assuming that go-openoffice uses open file formats so I can access them in years to come?...I only need to be able to create MS file formats to send assignments through to the uni.

I only need to be able to create MS file formats to send assignments through to the uni.
Ask them if they'll accept pdfs instead - in my experience creating an odt file in OpenOffice and exporting it as pdf is the most reliable way of providing it in a readable format and retaining access to the original document.

I don't see what's this story about 2007 compatibility being new, as far as I've seen OpenOffice has been able to do this for years... :unsure:

Ask them if they'll accept pdfs instead - in my experience creating an odt file in OpenOffice and exporting it as pdf is the most reliable way of providing it in a readable format and retaining access to the original document.

I don't see what's this story about 2007 compatibility being new, as far as I've seen OpenOffice has been able to do this for years... :unsure:

You're correct, but if you save it, close it and open it, all the formatting gets screwed up. Whenever someone sends me .doc or .docx or whatever, I save it in OpenOffice format because then generally everything is OK for the future. Even now it still screws up the formatting, but I haven't used this supposed go-openoffice, so I don't know if it's any better or not. I can't see how it can be, what have they got access to that OpenOffice cannot do themselves?

On the Go-Openoffice web site, it states:

Mandriva

Mandriva provides Go-OO in their repositories.

But I can't find it anywhere! :woops: Going to Go-Openoffice download page, there is of course many .rpm files. Which ones should I load? I tried loading a bunch, but I was missing at least one, as I could get Go-Openoffice to open.