9.2 wifi problem

mdemers883

I just installed mandrake 9.2 tonight (very friendly install just like 9.1) which I liked a lot. My only prob is I'm having a lil trouble getting my wifi up and running.

I'm running:

ASUS P4S8X-X mobo

has onboard SiS ethernet (source of the problem I believe)

and a pci Linksys WMP11 wifi card (I believe it is compatible with mandrake 9.2)

Harddrake see's both cards. when I boot up linux though eth0 FAILED (I'm not surprised due to the fact that I have the two adapters)

My question is, how do I disable the onboard SiS enet and get it to use my linksys wifi card. If there is a better way to go about this please let me know. I have some linux experience (I'm currently in a red hat 9 class at school) but I am by no means a expert. Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

If it is onboard, then you can disable it in the bios.

Anyway, just because mandrake can detect your hardware, it doesn't mean that it is supported. Native linux support for wifi cards are unfortunately very limited right now to a handful of chipsets. There are some work done to make a "wrapper" so that you can use windows driver in linux, but even then it is experimental.

Anyway, it seems that there are two version of this card. I think only one version is supported in linux so far. Try going to this link to check its compatibility

http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan

Anyway, it seems that there are two version of this card. I think only one version is supported in linux so far. Try going to this link to check its compatibility

http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan

I had checked that before I installed mandrake 9.2, my card "Linksys WMP11" is supported. I believe it says the prism driver is the one to use but I'm not sure how to load it.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

You can tell Mandrake not to bring up eth0 on boot and to use eth1 (wireless) as your internet connection in the Network Wizard in drakconf.  That's what I have done on my laptop.

Thank you LiquidZoo! I remember you trying to help me to get my card working with 9.1 but I got frustrated and gave up for a bit but now I'm ready to try again :D I will try this out when I get home from work. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mark :headbang:

ok, here's what I did:

I came home and su to root and did drakconf. I made it so my eth0 doesn't load at bootup. I went to add a new device since it wasn't showing my linksys card. I tried using hte prism and orinocco drivers and they didn't seem to work.

I did a lspci and a uname -r and here is the output:

[root@localhost root]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 645xx (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 0963 (rev 2 5)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Cont roller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev  0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev  0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethe rnet (rev 91)
00:09.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device 048c ( rev 02)
00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08)
00:0b.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 08)
00:0d.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4301 802.11b (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
[root@localhost root]# uname -r
2.4.22-10mdkenterprise

I hope that helps you guys out in assisting me. Let me know if you need me to dig up any more info.

Thanks

Mark

Whoa.. your version of WMP11 is Broadcom chipset.. not Prism.. Broadcom hasn't released the linux driver or the specs yet AFAIK, so you are pretty out of luck.

Of course, linuxant has released driverloader for linux. It supposedly enable you to load windows driver in linux. One of the supported chipset for this one is broadcom chipsets. You can find the information in this link

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

From what I heard, it's a bit experimental, not to mention, non-free (as in Libre), but it's better than nothing.

Good luck

Whoa.. your version of WMP11 is Broadcom chipset.. not Prism.. Broadcom hasn't released the linux driver or the specs yet AFAIK, so you are pretty out of luck.

Of course, linuxant has released driverloader for linux. It supposedly enable you to load windows driver in linux. One of the supported chipset for this one is broadcom chipsets. You can find the information in this link

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

From what I heard, it's a bit experimental, not to mention, non-free (as in Libre), but it's better than nothing.

Good luck

Yeah I noticed the broadcom, I was like "WTF" but thanks for clearing it up. I bought this card 7 months ago. Well I guess I'll just have to wait till I have a cable modem in my room before I can get online with linux. Should'nt be more than a month so that's a plus:D Thanks for the help though guys

Mark :headbang:

This may be your problem. I remember now you trying to get this card working in 9.1 here and we couldn't do it because of the chipset.

I did some searching, and Broadcom has not released their specs out so that someone could write a driver for Linux.

You might, however, be able to use a 'compatibility-wrapper' and use a Windows driver for that chipset. Check here: http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/ for one that looks good to me.

This may be your problem. I remember now you trying to get this card working in 9.1 here and we couldn't do it because of the chipset.

I did some searching, and Broadcom has not released their specs out so that someone could write a driver for Linux.

You might, however, be able to use a 'compatibility-wrapper' and use a Windows driver for that chipset. Check here: http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/ for one that looks good to me.

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it. My roommates are moving out within the next few weeks so I'll be able to ditch the wifi and use either the onboard SiS or another nic card. I think I"ll just tool around with 9.2 till then so I know my way around and get comfortable with it. I was hoping to get that wifi working easily but since I'll be ditching it soon it's no big deal. You guys have a very helpful/friendly forum here which is part of the reason why mandrake is very tempting, with support like you guys it's nice to know that there is almost know problem that you guys don't have the answer to. Once again, thank you for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road :headbang:

Mark

OK,

I have a PRISM II (802.11g) PCMCIA card. (Netgear WG 511)

Anyone sucessfully got it working in either Mandrake or Debian ???

I gave up on mandrake becuase it hangs on starting PCMCIA services (on my laptop) but ill try anything that works!!! (so long as its Linux/BSD/FLOSS). Im really that desperate!!!!