A question about Knoppix

As far as I understand things, Knoppix is a Debian based distro, correct? If this is true, then should it not be possible to install Knoppix onto a computer, run an apt-get and upgrade/update to a full install of Debian?

I have two small questions though:

1. Can Knoppix actually be installed onto a hard drive?

2. Does knoppix include a full install of apt?

Has anyone done this before?

Edited by fuzzylizard

1. yes, all you have to do is run knoppix to console mode (init 2 or 3, I forgot) and type hdinstall as root.

2. I am not sure what do you mean by the full install of apt. Apt-get is available in knoppix. That's how people remaster knoppix by adding and subtracting packages for their own live-cd. You still need to type apt-get update to download the package database first though.

Along the lines of that, a "true" debian install is really only about 10-20 packages. You apt-get everything from there. If your talking of running "sid" = "unstable branch for debian" then you would change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to sid. I'm not really sure what knoppix has in that file for repository's, I don't know if there going off of sarge & woody or if they have there own "special" repository. You might list what is in that file for us and we could tell you more. (maybe) ;)

1. yes, all you have to do is run knoppix to console mode (init 2 or 3, I forgot) and type hdinstall as root.

Okay, dumb question, how do I do this? I have never been able to figure out how to start a linux distribution in another run level.

I downloaded Knoppix and am running it (from the cd) on an old PIII - 450Mhz computer with 192 megs of ram. It works incredibly well. It truely is amazing how it is able to configure everything when it starts up. I have Red Hat running on this machine and I have been unable to get XFree to recognize any refresh rate higher then 60Hz. Knoppix started up and I have a nice 1024x768 resolution at 75Hz. So how does Knoppix get this right when Red Hat can't.