mdk9.1 and mc err[liblow.c(371)]: in console

I can't remember what the correct terminology is for these terminals/consoles. When you press CTRL+ALT+F2 etc. from within KDE you can open a text terminal, or even without X loaded when I use 'mc' I get an error displayed at the bottom of the screen which says '*** err[liblow.c(371)]:'.

I have seen a post on Google about this but I want to know if it harms my system when using it with this error. Running mc by typing 'TERM=xterm mc' cures it but then the function keys don't all work properly. I did get a file system error once after using it so that's why I am concerned.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

It's just the socket that the gpm daemon uses to control the mouse. It doesn't hurt anything. If you want the error to go away, install gpm and start it as root like this:

gpm -m /dev/mouse -t ps2

That's for a ps2 mouse, of course. For a different type of mouse, do a man gpm to see which is the right one to use for your mouse. You'll get a /dev/gpmctl permission denied error after that with mc which can be cured by, as root:

chmod 0777 /dev/gpmctl

You may have to chmod it each time that gpm stops and starts (killing and restarting X). You can setup gpm to start with X by doing this as root:

chkconfig --add gpm --level 5