Asus A7N8X-X and 8.2 works!

Crashdamage

My 8.2 installation refuses to go away. I had to do a hardware upgrade yestrday. For this upgrade, I was keeping the same HDs, video and PCI

cards, and changing the box, processor, memory, and motherboard. I was all set to do a clean install/upgrade from Mandrake 8.2 to 9.2 to

accomodate the new Asus board. Hated to do it 'cause like I've said here before I've got a *very* complicated, highly updated and customized

8.2 install that I'm still very happy with and it would take 1-2 days work to duplicate in 9.2. and I really wanted to wait for the 2.6 kernel

to come out and get nice and stable before I upgraded to a newer distro.

Anyway, just for grins, after everything was assembled I thought I'd see what would happen if I tried to boot from my present install. Well,

the kudzu hardware configuration tool kicked in, detected the new motherboard and processor, asked if would like to apply some new drivers for

a few things - why, yes I would, thanks - and everything works! So I'm still using the same 8.2 install! And I'll be quite happy to keep it

for a while longer. My hat's off to Mandrake on this one. I never expected my old 8.2 distro to handle this motherboard.

Only question now is will my uptime last 'til I'm ready to go to a version with the 2.6 kernel. I've never had to reboot 8.2 except for power

outages.