mdk9.1 and Zaurus, ping ok but no ftp

simcon

Hi

I've just upgraded to mdk9.1 from mdk9. I followed the same steps involved in getting my Zaurus up and running as for mdk9 and I can ping it but ftp is a no no. Neither does Qtopia Desktop connect to it. This is a major headache as I have files on my Zaurus that I need on my desktop. Basically from my mdk9 experience if I can ping the Zaurus then everything should be fine, but it isn't. I use ncftp as this is recommended to access the Zaurus.

Please if anyone is successfully using a Zaurus with mdk9.1 then let me know as I am contemplating going back to mdk9 very soon.

Cheers.

Well I'm so impressed with mdk9.1 I'm sticking with it and using my winxp partition with the Zaurus sync software that works fine. I found that most people can't get it to work properly with mdk9.1 Although someone who did has the OpenZaurus ROM v3.2 instead of the Sharp ROM. I don't know if I want to get involved in changing ROMs though.

OpenZaurus and mdk9.1 info:- http://lists.zaurus.com/pipermail/zaurus-g...ril/012451.html

Woohoo :thumbs: I got it to work! Saved from Windows dual booting hell :D

Ok so I might as well document it for anyone who wants to use a Zaurus with mdk9.1. Just one note, as of writing (20031201) there is no Linux Qtopia Desktop syncing software available for the latest Sharp ROM v3 because Sharp have made some significant changes to the ROM, so I am only dealing here with Sharp ROMs below v3 such as 2.38 or 2.39 etc.

From a default mdk9.1 installation, you need to do the following things (as root) to be able to communicate and sync via usb:-

Create a file called '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-usb0' and put this inside it:-

BOOTPROTO=static

BROADCAST=192.168.129.255

IPADDR=192.168.129.1

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

NETWORK=192.168.129.0

DEVICE=usb0

In a console type 'chmod +x /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-usb0'.

Open '/etc/hotplug/usb.handmap' and add these 2 lines to the bottom, adding a newline after the last line (press enter):-

# Sharp Zaurus

usbnet 0x0003 0x04dd 0x8004 0x0000 0x0000 0x02 0x00 0x00 0xff 0x01 0x00 0x00000000

In my previous version of mdk9 the 2nd line above started with usbdnet, and now it is usbnet. This is apparently why I couldn't initially get my Zaurus to work properly.

In a console type 'depmod -a'.

You can now do one of two things, either type 'ifup usb0' in a console or reboot the machine. I rebooted.

With the Zaurus in the cradle and turned on, type 'ifconfig -a' (as root) in a console and you should see the following information included:-

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 52:7D:94:B0:1B:58

inet addr:192.168.129.1 Bcast:192.168.129.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

If your Zaurus is configured as 192.168.129.201 then type 'ping 192.168.129.201 -c4' and you should see the Zaurus being pinged 4 times. If yours is a different IP then ping that instead.

If you want to ftp into your Zaurus I suggest using ncftp (it should be on the mdk disks) and type 'ncftp ftp://root:root@192.168.129.201:4242 ' or change the IP to match yours. The console ftp does not work with the Zaurus, that's why you should use ncftp. BTW the ftp address I just gave you, it should appear in this post as a URL, you should be able to click on it (in KDE using Konqueror) to browse your Zaurus B) It will even preview the files like images etc.

Ok now download the Qtopia Desktop RPM from Trolltech. There is no Mandrake specific RPM but you can download the SuSE or RedHat RPM instead. I use the SuSE one so here is the link: ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qtopia/desktop/Su...-1su82.i386.rpm.

Install Qtopia Desktop and in a console (as root) type 'cd /usr/bin' and then 'ln -s /opt/Qtopia/bin/qtopiadesktop'. Now we are finished with root.

Open a console as your normal user account and type 'qtopiadesktop' and you should see the program running on your desktop. You can also create a desktop shortcut, but that's up to you. In Qtopia Desktop click on File->Settings... and then click on 'General' and the connection tab. The 'PDA Connection Method' should be USB and the PDA IP Address should be the same as your Zaurus (default 192.168.129.201). Press OK and now you should be able to Sync All :thumbs:

I have attached a picture. Konqueror is displaying the uploaded text and html files on the compact flash card, whereas Qtopia Desktop is displaying all uploaded files.

post-26-1070263375.jpg

Edited by simcon