Problem in Installation of Adobe Flash player 10

Guest JeetNayan

Guest JeetNayan

Hello,

I am using a Mandriva 2008 on my machine... now i updated the firefox browser to the latest version i.e. 3.5.7 and i tried to install Adobe Flash player 10 directly from the net... but it is giving me an error "Installation of Plugin Failed !"

so i tried to manually install it by downloading "install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz" from their site. But this contains something called "libflashplayer.so" which i don't know how to work with...

Kindky advise on how should i get this one manually installed...

Please Help,

Thnaks in advance,

JN

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are plugins installed system-wide.

/home/username/.mozilla/plugins are those installed just for specific user in addition to those already seen system-wide.

• 4 months later...

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins are plugins installed system-wide.

/home/username/.mozilla/plugins are those installed just for specific user in addition to those already seen system-wide.

Hey :thumbs: , I tried using the solution explained here, I even tried using the lib on both folders, but flash still not working... :wall: any other idea of what could be wrong?, also I restarted firefox

Edited by demonseth17

...flash still not working...

Which version of Mandriva have you installed? I guess you installed one of Mandriva's free versions, otherwise you'd already have flash.

There are at least two ways to get Flash Player.

1. Install the flash-player-plugin package, it's in the PLF Non-free repository.

2. As root run a program called 'download-flash-player-plugin'.

In case your media sources are not well configured then you may want to try the below script. The script will enable PLF free and Non-free, Main and Main updates, Contrib and Contrib updates, Non-free and Non-free updates.

# initialize.sh
# To see which media are active
# urpmq --list-media active

# reinitialize urpmi's setup
urpmi.removemedia -a

# add some repository media using commands from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list'
urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'

# activate "Non-free" and "Non-free Updates"
urpmi.update --no-ignore Non-free 'Non-free Updates'
urpmi.update -v Non-free 'Non-free Updates'

Edited by boatman9

[rr@localhost Download]$ firefox --version

Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3, Copyright © 1998 - 2010 mozilla.org

yeah flash suppose to be working but it isn't it gives me a black screen on every video...that's why I tried to install it again..

Have you tried download-flash-player-plugin or anything else I suggested above? What was the result?

yes I did, I also downloaded faad2, libfaad2, gstreamer01-faad (something like that), helped a little because now the video starts when it wants what I mean is not every video opens, sometimes when I want to watch a video it won't open at all, but other videos will... ;)

If you post a link to a video that does not work for you, I or someone else may be able to tell you what's needed to play it.

I think it helps to have the package codeina installed. I guess the PLF version is likely to be best.

well I have the plf version, and I stopped working w/ firefox and started using epiphany, the flash player runs smooth and it also runs really good on CentOS [Virtualbox]...it has firefox 3.0.x instead of 3.6x, I installed the plugin and it's working fine, what I'll do is downgrade firefox or use either centos or epiphany in linux... but thx anyway