OK - so not striclty speaking a linux distro...

Actually - I was wondering if anyone mght be able to help with an XP problem... I figure there might be one or two people here who could give me some pointers - sorry for posting this on a linux forum, but this is still the best and friendliest forum I know.

I want to run Championship Manager Season 00/01 on windows XP, but I keep getting told that there isn't enoguh memory to run the game - even though I have 1024MB!

Apparently this is a known issue - but I can't find a patch. Is there anyway of running a program and fooling it into thinking there is less RAM than there really is...?

Actually - I was wondering if anyone mght be able to help with an XP problem... I figure there might be one or two people here who could give me some pointers - sorry for posting this on a linux forum, but this is still the best and friendliest forum I know.

I want to run Championship Manager Season 00/01 on windows XP, but  I keep getting told that  there isn't enoguh memory to run the game - even though I have 1024MB!

Apparently this is a known issue - but I can't find a patch.  Is there anyway of running a program and fooling it into thinking there is less RAM than there really is...?

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Several programs that I have had similar problems. I had it run it Windows 98 compatibiity mode, and it ran fine after that.

I don't have an XP box in front of me now, but right click on the executable (or a shortcut to it) and I believe if you dig around you will see the compatibility mode options..... somewhere in there.

I found it worked best to try Windows 98 first, then go from there.

No need to apologize about posting a Windows question. We understand, and sympathize. Feel the power of the Penguin, beckoning you to the light..... ;-)

Thanks - tried that and it made no difference.

It should run in XP (I've done it before on a different system) it seems to be a problem with the memory. According to the little I have found on the internet (no clear fixes) the game can't recongnise more than 512MB.

I have patched the game to make it as up to date as possible...

• 3 months later...

OK - I have the same problem with Championship manager 3 (you'd think I'd have learned by now...)

I phoned up Eidos and was told that since Microsoft removed the options regrading memory in the compatibility settings it's impossible to run the game without physically removing the memory.

I'm not ready to give up just yet though... Some one must know of a way to fool a program into thinking the system (don't forget it's windows) has less memory than it does...

This probally won't help, but maybe try getting a cd crack (try

www.megagames.com). It may not work, but I had trouble running madden 2k4, it kept telling me to insert the disc, which was in and that "system resources were low" when nothing else was running! AHHH windows, you gotta love it :wall: Another problem was the name ! of the folder that contained the music conflicted with a windows file so the game wouldn't start unless you remaned it!!!!

Good Luck!!!