Boot Failure

linuxknight

After installing mandrake 9.2 without a hitch, I proceeded to boot into Linux. On the bootloader, I have failsafe, enterprise, secure, and normal linux. I tried every one of those, but they either blank the screen or get stuck after the bios check before the kernel unloads. I am running a Geforce4 MX 440SE @ 4x AGP on a Syntax KT400 board with 1GB pc2100ddr and a 40GB drive. The front side bus should be running at 266mhz, but wont work at 266 due to an unknown problem that may have occured when it was shipped to me. The system runs Redhat 7.3 and Windows fine, as well as most of Gentoo, but MDK 9.2 doesn't want to boot. Please tell me what can be done, and if putting in another video card would be a good idea. The video card has a problem once in a blue moon where the screen shifts and looks fizzy and then goes back to normal upon resoultion change, such as after the default Windows 2000 boot screen.

You've got a lot going on here, potential hardware problems and software problems so it will be difficult to trouble shoot. For your graphics card, I'd definetly try to reseat it in the agp slot to make sure your getting good contact. Also, check the cable to the monitor; sounds like your not getting good contact somewhere. If you have a spare cable, try swapping it out.

On the software end, do you have multiple linux distros running on the system? If so, can you boot into any of them? Also, which boot loader are you using, lilo or grub? The first place to look is your boot loader config file, lilo.conf if your using lilo; don't know what it is for grub since I don't use it. If you can access that file and post it, maybe someone will see something amiss.

tell the bootloader

acpi=off noapic

lilo

1. press Esc

2. <type> linux acpi=off noapic <and hit Enter>

grub

1. Select/Highlight linux and press e (for edit)

2. Press e (for edit) again

3. <Add/append to the end of the kernel/root line> acpi=off noapic <and press Enter>

4. <press> b (for boot)

This is not a permanent change but just for the current attempt, so you can try diff kernel parameters to find the prob and the one that works to permanently put in the bootloader config.

Passing those options and resetting the video card did not work. I'm probably going to download version 9.1 and do an upgrade. Hopefully this works. Otherwise I will compile my own kernel, copy it from a floppy through gentoo to the boot partition, and chroot to update lilo with this new entry and forget the Mandrake optimized kernels. My security setup is high enough on the entry level side, that I seriously doubt any of those extra kernels are needed. I hope this explains my status, and I believe that this topic should end.

Edited by linuxknight