Motherboard ASUS M4N Dual DDR2

USB x 6

250 GB ata Hard Drive with 8MB cache

Graphics Nvidia Geforce 8400GS Pci Express

Sound card Onboard 6 Channel (5.1) High Def : More on this later

Memory card reader 52 in 1

And of course Mandriva 2010 OS.

What can I say but it flies.

The only downside is the sound card. I have been busy with google and there seems to be plenty of problems but no conclusive answers.

The card is recognised as requiring the snd_hda_intel driver. Without Pulse I can get the sound working of a fashion. The Line input doesn't work, and can't seem to arrange a Master volume control for kmix.

I have a feeling that the sound card may be a bit advanced for the Linux Kernel. I'll keep digging and hopefully come up with a solution. In the mean time if anyone has ideas as to what can try I will be grateful. Thank you in advance.

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT200 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be3 (rev a1)

The relevant lines from lspci. Rather cryptic Audio Device clue :huh:

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Sound chip-set for the M4N78-AM: VIA VT1708S (6 - Channel)

Edited by JillSwift

Thank you for that Jill, however I keep going in circles and end up with the system chosen snd_hda_intel.

This works somewhat but some of the channels are mapped to the wrong volume control and regardless the 'Line' channel does not work at all. I have (a rather ancient) tv card, brooktree, which works fine and I have to take an internal connector from this card and use the CD connector on the main board. The downside to that is I can't play CD's without going in to the box and swapping the cables about.

As you can imagine there are a number of remedies out on the net, but not one is a definitive answer. It does appear as though I may have to wait for Alsa to catch up with the times.

It would appear that I have libalsa2 installed. I have just compiled and installed a new release of alsa version 1.0.22 from the website. There is a slight increase in volumes, yet the channel map is the same. I have found that I don't actually need a sound input to the main board from the cdrom to provide sound from an audio cd. :unsure: They still play without one.

Can you filter dmesg to see if there is anything there.

dmesg | grep -i alc

replace alc with intel as well as snd, and see if we can find out if something is amiss. I had problems with sound on a Toshiba laptop, which showed a problem with a codec. Although maybe nothing will show, and then that'll make it hard.

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcsp               10256  1
snd_hda_codec_via      53764  1
snd_seq_dummy           2984  0
snd_hda_intel          26144  2
snd_seq_oss            30368  0
snd_seq_midi_event      7428  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                52528  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          7600  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            38208  0
snd_hda_codec          86048  2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               7752  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm                78024  4 snd_pcsp,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              21836  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          16644  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    62564  19 snd_pcsp,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_seq_dummy,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore               8128  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9452  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

The modules seem to be loaded. I have not tried running OSS yet.

Blacklist the module snd_pcsp and try again.

I had some trouble with it in my laptop, but somehow this module doesn't exist anymore in the stock Archlinux kernels. Funnily enough, I can see it being present at the Mandy ones, although I'm pretty sure it's deprecated (most likely as a potential troublemaker).

The above blacklisting may fix the "azx_get_response timeout" dmesg, which shouldn't happen.

Edited by scarecrow