ASUS 1201HAB

Hey folks, been a while.

2010.0 looks absolutely stunning on my ASUS EEE 1201HAB. That is, until booting after the first major update (which includes the two desktops). The boot procedes as normal until I get an error that the X-server has failed to initialize. I can get to a place to adjust the settings, but after I set the correct screen resolutions and run a test, it tells me about something that is missing (I'll fire her up and get the exact error in a mo).

I don't get it because the live CD and the initial installation appear to work perfectly.

Not sure about that right now, I'll check, but the problem appears to be that the kernel update does not reinitialize the driver.

I found some good info on the Ubuntu forums, even though Ubuntu 9.10 does not come out of the box with a driver for the GMA500 Poulsbo graphics chip.

Adam W blogged about the issue:

gma500 poulsbo driver for fedora 11 soon to be in rpm fusion

intel gma500 poulsbo on fedora 11 repository with working 3d compiz support

wiki.ubuntu.com Hardware Support Components Video Cards Poulsbo

I installed Ubuntu (since Mandriva set up my partitions so nice) but it crashes the screen at completely random intervals and there is no way out of it but a hard shutdown.

• 2 months later...

Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf config file, or everything is autoconfigured at startup?

Hey folks, I want to readdress this issue because I still like Mandriva better than anything else and so I want to get it working.

I think the problem is that whatever command is necessary to load the PSB module when the X server initiates does not make it through a kernel update.

As noted in the above post, Adamw fixed this for Fedora.

What do I need to have in a xorg.conf file to make sure that the PSB module loads?