Cannot install 9.2

markelliott

Hi all,

I am a newbee at Linux. I am trying to install 9.2.

I downloaded 9.2 from a mirror site onto my hd. Created a boot disk using hd.img

I can get the boot disk to work, find the img on the hd, and start the installation process up to a point.

After I choose the programs I want and it starts to try to install them, I get this error "Error in installing packages Idconfig-2.3.2-14imdrake...do you want to continue"

(the package name is probably wrong, as I am doing this from memory)

If I choose "yes", then the error comes up again with the next package. It seems that it cannot find ANY packages.

If I chose "no" it loops me back into choosing the programs I want. I have tried to just download basic linux with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

As a guess, after you have checked the md5sums on the downloaded iso's, watch carefully which file it is that the install chokes on. If possible, (i.e. not a mandatory package) use individual package selection and leave that one out. It may be that once an error occurs, the installer might have choked and refused to install the rest.

Counterspy

• 2 weeks later...

I just had this problem tonight; glad I'm not the only one. :-/ Packages from metacity, nautilus, openoffice, mathplot, mc, methane, mirrordir, mozplugger, mpg123, mplayer, mikmod, mesa, mrproject, mures, and ncftp. All were on disc 2. I had already md5sum'ed all three discs and number 2 was fine. I even went and downloaded disc 2 from a different mirror. I'm pretty sure this isn't that LG problem, because I have a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW....

What's the problem?

If the md5sum checks ok, and you are using cd media, then the next issue is as counterspy indicated, a bad burn. Poor media, or even burning at a speed that is too fast, can cause errors. So, the solution would be to burn cd2 again. I have had this issue before. Again, review md5sum, media quality, burn speed.

I had this same problem too with the public release. But not rc2.

Same media, same speeds same everything.

CD2 seemed to be the problem, and it was random at which point or package the install stalled at.

I also had a stange screen during the install, garbled text and something about perl script or something, not quite the smooth 'gui' of rc2.

I eventually got through the install and got the system up and running. Later I needed to redistribute space on my partitions, and couldn't install public release at all, and installed rc2 again. I'm sticking with this until mdk10 comes out.

I burned at 4x, which was the lowest my Memorex discs would do. (Geez, when did we ever think we'd want to burn more slowly?!)

My question is: why are there a number of people who all have the same problem? Could it be some freak hardware problem? (This doesn't have to do with that "LG" thing I heard about, does it?)

Memorex is not exactly high quality disks where I come from, even for RWs.

The reason is that people have the same problem could be a number of things. These are some of my thoughts

1. Fragmented hard drive (especially if downloading in windows). I usually defragment my harddrive before downloading something big (like isos), using a REAL defragmenter (not ms built in one). A fragmented iso image is a bad iso image imo.

2. Cheap hardware. Back when I was in the States, I can go to Fry's and get a no brand CDRW drive for only 15 dollars BEFORE rebate. However, I prefer something brand name if what I burn matters. Plextor and Toshiba if I have the money, Lite-on and samsung if I am on a tight budget. Unfortunately, most cdrw drives bundled in computers nowadays are not exactly quality drives. Witness the LG problems :)

3. Cheap media. When you can get 100 disks of CDRs for only about 10 bux, you know something is wrong with the quality. Buy something that is known as good quality, sony, verbatim, and maxell, are a few of the good ones.

4. Burning at too high a speed. I don't care what is posted on the drive. 4x is the maximum speed I dare burn if the drive doesn't support burn-free, 8x is the maximum if the drive support burnfree. I prefer to lose about 10 minutes burning time rather than redoing the whole thing again.

1. Though it's my sister's Windows computer, I set it up to defrag every other day, so that's out.

2. Definitely could be... the computer's an E-machines [gasp]

3. Memorex isn't good?

4. 4x all the way.

I think something may be wrong with the drive, because I tried a few other burns tonight and they froze her up. So, we'll see what I can do with a few hours of my Linux box up. :headbang: