Buy a Linux Laptop

SoulSe

• 3 weeks later...

Grrr.. it doesn't ship to Indonesia... even if it does.. the shipping cost will probably be half as much as the laptop price.

However, it seems that IBM laptops are the bombs as far as linux compatibility is concerned.. (eyeing longingly at that Thinkpad T41)

However, it seems that IBM laptops are the bombs as far as linux compatibility is concerned.. (eyeing longingly at that Thinkpad T41)

The bombs in what sense? T41 is pretty much the same as T40 except for the videocard, and T40 is Red hat and SuSe certified... Any issues that I need to be aware of (I have ordered one, it's coming after Xmas)

The one I'm saving my pennies for is at Emperor Linux... It's based on Dell Latitude 800

Check out the RHINO--Click Here!

Power & Portability!  Nvidia graphics too! :woops:

Dells seem to be pretty compatible all around. However, Emperor Linux charges one hell of a markup. You'd probably be better off buying a laptop from Dell directly and then installing Linux yourself. The $3100US system described there is probably identical to a Dell inspiron 8600 and would probably only cost you about $2300US directly from Dell (even with XP installed).

Log onto Dell's website (www.dell.com in the US or www.dell.ca in Canada) and you can put together a system to your specs and get a quote. Note that there is a new "deal" every week so don't get pressured into buying because of them.

Glitz.

Edited by Glitz

Glitz,

Yes, I figured that is exactly what I would do... buy direct from Dell. I do like the way they package things at Emperor Linux but the price is too high.

Hey, half the fun is trying to make everything work anyway, right? It is nice to know someone was able to get it all working so I don't have to be the guinea pig. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I have Mandrake9.2 on my IBM R40 Centrino and it works great, I love it. Only think that I needed to intall was a driver for the centrino 802.11b but it was an easy install from www.linuxant.com

Edit:

Forgot to mention that the laptop will not haly properly. Everything shutsdown, but the GPU fan and it still shows some lights on.

Edited by RigidKnife

I have an IBM ThinkPad 600e and mandrake rocks on it. The sound takes a little tweaking, but that's the hardest part of the installation. I had no problems with the DVD player in mandrake 9.0. However, I'm still trying to get it to work with mandrake 9.2. All and all.. if anybody is looking for a cheap $300 laptop that will work with linux, I would recommend the 600e.

Nate

Based on your tip, I went ahead and bought one of the LinuxCertified laptops. A spanking new laptop arrived last week. It is *great*.  I can't even believe it. Every freaking thing works!

Please keep sharing finds like this. Thanks

:thumbs:

www.elementcomputer.com

They also sell laptops that come pre-loaded with Linux (Lycoris Desktop/LX). The cheapest model ($799) gets you (base model):

14" screen

2.0 GHZ P4

30 Gig HD

256 MB RAM

I dunno about quality or anything. My parent's bought me the laptop described above but I haven't gotten it yet, so I can't make any claims as to how good they are. I also wish they'd let you choose a linux distro, but they prolly made a deal with Lycoris. I'm planning on dual booting it with Mandrake. At least since it comes with a Linux distro installed and (supposedly) fully working there have got to be drivers and such available for all the hardware.

Edited by trunks2k

I recently installed Cooker Snapshot 123103 on my Compaq Armada M700.

(PIII-500, 320MB RAM, 15GB HDD)

Everything works great.

I have had WinXP installed on it and it was slooow. Then Mandrake 9.1 (but I was not very satisfied with the speed of it) then switched to XandrOS 2.0 and worked fine.

I decided to try Cooker and man, I am one happy fellow.

Looking forward to Mandrake 10.

In my experience, get an older laptop, (eBay or your favorite computer store) cheap, then load Linux on it. Most likely all Hardware devices will work and it will definitely run faster than windows XP.

Linux is getting better and better everytime. And Mandrake makes it easier and easier with every new release.

Right now i currently use my new Apple powerbook that i just bought.. the 17" apple powerbook with every thing in it.. also i just bought a new server.. the only way im going to learn more about mandrake is to install it and use it.. so for a few years i have been using it a little here and there mainly for a firewall the mnf snf series. i love mandrake a lot.. i have never had major problems with it. so soon in about a month or so.. i want to buy a Dell Ls series thin and light laptop. the reason i pick dell is because i have my dell dcse certification's and like dell. so im wondering has any one gotten mandrake to work with wireless pcmcia card's and what one do an of you choose and like.. i have at home a smc the new barracuda with the usb print server 802.11G works great with my apple laptop and the server and other things.. here is a picture that i found on the net to show you what the dell laptop looks like.. : O)

post-26-1073957380.jpg