No sound on hp omnibook 4150

impuLse

Just quickly on this... diferent laptop, similar prob..

try harddrake to detect your hardware... somewhere on the left hand list it will show your sound card.. click this and see the description. At the bottom are 2 config buttons... one allows you to pick the driver you want to use from a list.. if the one you need is there click on this and instal... if it's the same as my prob you'll need to reboot after this but you should have sound...

hope this helps.. Jacko.

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I'm one of the unlucky who also has a OmniBook 4150 and likes to have sound working. Everyone knows this model is a bit of a pain, but I've had the sound working one way or the other in each release of Mandrake/Mandriva Linux since Mandrake 9.2. I got my head togther with this guy last year and we came through to that this worked in 10.0, 10.1 and Mandriva 2005...

http://zurich.csail.mit.edu/pipermail/omni...ary/003326.html

This also works in Mandriva 2006, however, one will note that only one of the files that needs to be changed is actually present. Change the one that actually does exist and you're home free.

In a nutshell, you need to use the ad1848 driver, OSS sound system and make a small tweak to /etc/modprobe.conf. Reboot. Enjoy.

As an aside, I think the sound may be mono, but it's better than silence! Also, ACPI wirks with this Noteook for the first time in Mandriva 2006, however, the sound doesn't seem to survive a suspend (as has been the case in all my previous installations. Oh well.)

:Andrew!