Peppercorn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kuchwas
I don't get it

http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html

On systems with existing NVIDIA driver installations, upgrading from Linux 2.4 merely involves building a kernel module for Linux 2.6.
Either a patch is needed or it's not. The nvidia kernel is linux kernel specific so it makes no sense at all that previous installs would help. Besides, it obviously doesn't. Because I can't get it to work.

The exact matching kernel-source-2.6.0.0 will not install because of a kconfig script conflict with libkconfig.so which are both within the kernel-source itself :o .....ain't that wacked out....they need to remove that puppy til they fix it (it's a new one for me...never heard of that b4). So, I have the kernel-source-2.6.x-test95 or some crap, which may be the prob but shouldn't be because it's still 2.6. The nvidia installer claims that /usr/src/linux/include/modversion.h (a symlink) doesn't exist but it does and it points to the correct dir/file. Maybe this is what the patch is for?

I got the run0 file by copying the link to the run2, pasted to mozilla, changed the 0 to 2 in the link, hit enter, save to disk.
I see no run anything on that site. If it's 'in' a diff, well I'm new to that. Never needed such none sense b4. Unfortunately, nvidia no longer provides src.rpm's (jerks) but I still have an old one. Oh, I've patch many many a_kernel but never needed a diff. :cheeky: ...and this is not my first rodeo with test kernels either. :furious3:

Ok, I forgot the kernel source dep problem; yeah, yeah, it's cooker, we have to be creative. I did urpmi kernel-source 2.6.0xxx --allow-nodeps to get it installed. Problem reported to Juan in cooker ml. He'll fix next release.

Get the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496.README & NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4496-2.6.diff from www.minion.de. Get the installer run0 from www.NVIDIA.com, with the trick I mentioned, cause you will not find it listed on Nvidia.

Follow the README instructions exactly to patch and build the Nvidia module. You will only patch modules and do not need to patch the installer itself, if you have the Nvidia module installed on a 2.4 kernel.

Correct, the modversion. h does not exist, another 2.6 change, that's why you need the patch. Modules now are xxx.ko and not xxx.o as well. The 2.6 kernel will load it at boot. I'm waiting for a patch for the alsa-driver 1.0.0pre3, but not yet.

Hope this makes sense, I just woke up from a tryptophan nap...... :D

Guys

can you help?????????

I got 2.6 installed following all your advice. thanks to everyone!!

BUT

I have an external usb adsl modem. A Dlink dsl200. It uses an eciadsl driver. The trouble is 2.6 can't find the modem. I followed your instructions to get the mouse to work, can anyone direct me in any way what may get the usb modem identified???

USB itself seems to work, but it's just the modem isn't found.

Thanks

Guest kuchwas
Guys

can you help?????????

I got 2.6 installed following all your advice. thanks to everyone!!

BUT

I have an external usb adsl modem. A Dlink dsl200. It uses an eciadsl driver. The trouble is 2.6 can't find the modem. I followed your instructions to get the mouse to work, can anyone direct me in any way what may get the usb modem identified???

USB itself seems to work, but it's just the modem isn't found.

Thanks

Did you install hotplug? If not, get it. It will make your life easier, by my expreience.

My Palm took two tries to sync under linux for years, since RH 5.0, i.e., start sync on Palm, hit sync on JPilot, wait 10 seconds, abort sync on Palm, close JPilot, find JPilot pid and kill it. Start sync on Palm, hit sync on JPilot, it would run. Now I plug the Palm in, start synch, hit sync on JPilot, it syncs!! This kernel 2.6 with hotplug and udev is the first time ever for sync on first go.

Try placing the name of your modem driver in /etc/modprobe.preload and reboot; that should do it.

If not, you might be a little ahead of the kernel 2.6 development curve, with usb hardware. :o

that is why i gave up on mandrake shortly after i started with it.

So why do you hang out on a Mandrake Forum if you don't like it and don't use it?

because it is way better than hanging out at justlinux or linuxquestions. too many people there have big heads.

but back to 2.6. it think it would be unwise for any distro to use it default when it is first released. i can't imagine that they will quash all bug before first full release. there are things that just don't work with it, udev is very green still, etc. i don't even think my distro will go to 2.6 as the default kernel when it is full released. it just does not make sense. i am not inclined to use it until udev is better developed and i figure out why my first test of it killed hosed my system (i suspect a reiserfs bug). even 2.4 was not very reliable until later releases.

really my issues here are not mandrake, that stuff was only mentioned in passing and with respect to some of your points. my issue is the kernel developers treatment of kernel components

I know we're off topic here but, wasn't/isn't it the same with devfs? I haven't compiled a kernel in about 6 months but I've done over 50 of them, and in menuconfig>Help under devfs it still said EXPERIMENTAL, and some distros still do not use it as default and many a distro was criticized when they first started to use it. So, I imagine udev will/is no diff. Reading the man and the fact that it's userspace I like the idea. I remember trying to get devfs going on LFS4.0, then when I did, I wasn't fun to edit.

Thanks for the more detailed explaination kuchwas! I'll give it a go!

Hi again,

Well, I almost got there but it would always fail at the same point!

kuchwas, I did as you said and put the name of the driver in that file and it was found on startup BUT it just kept coming up with.......

"inappropriate ioctl for device"

I tried my usb camera which worked perfectly, it was just this darn modem. Any more ideas????

Thanks and still praying!

Do you know how it was setup b4? (mod dependencies) Just guessing but this is what I see. Like with my mouse draktools do not know what to do with the new way of doing things. So you can probably rule out reconfiguring it the easy way. So the more detail you have about its setup on the old kernel (or did it work? You can still boot to it, rt?) the better chance you have of making it work on 2.6.

Guest kuchwas
but back to 2.6. it think it would be unwise for any distro to use it default when it is first released. i can't imagine that they will quash all bug before first full release. there are things that just don't work with it, udev is very green still, etc. i don't even think my distro will go to 2.6 as the default kernel when it is full released. it just does not make sense. i am not inclined to use it until udev is better developed and i figure out why my first test of it killed hosed my system (i suspect a reiserfs bug). even 2.4 was not very reliable until later releases.

That is why it is in cooker to be tested. MDK developers have stated that they do not plan to use 2.6 in next release; future release of 2.6 depends, but they have stated that 2.4 and 2.6 will be in single release when it happens. Since 2.6 is stable enough for wider testing to find more bugs, that is what we are doing. There is no "include in distro date" projected, this it just playing with experimental, bleeding edge, future of linux fun.

Well, I almost got there but it would always fail at the same point!

kuchwas, I did as you said and put the name of the driver in that file and it was found on startup BUT it just kept coming up with.......

"inappropriate ioctl for device"

I have no idea, since I use a router/wifi ap to cable modem, so my connection on this machine is ethernet. I'll post in cooker and see if I can get an answer.

Thanks for the more detailed explaination kuchwas! I'll give it a go!

I think it will work fine. I was real confused following the readme, since it was a different process than I am used to doing, but it worked. More 2.6 changes, or just the workarounds they are doing so that testing can be done.

looks like someone heard me :unsure:

the 2.6 source is gone :devil: so I can't even force it now :wall:

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux.../Mandrake/RPMS/

will use linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk

[root@ml nv]# make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk'
*** Warning: Overriding SUBDIRS on the command line can cause
***          inconsistencies
make[2]: `arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
echo \#define NV_COMPILER \"`gcc -v 2>&1 | tail -n 1`\" >
/root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nv_compiler.h
 CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nv.o
 CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-agp.o
 CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-interface.o
 CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-registry.o
 LD [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.o
 Building modules, stage 2.
/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk/scripts/Makefile.modpost:17: *** Uh-oh, you
have stale module entries. You messed with SUBDIRS,
/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk/scripts/Makefile.modpost:18: do not complain
if something goes wrong.
 MODPOST
 CC      /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.mod.o
 LD [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk'
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
(/lib/modules/2.6.0-0.1mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module
format
make: *** [package-install] Error 1
[root@ml nv]#

Guest kuchwas

There is so much shuffling. Supposed to have this 2.6 in main, and the 2.6.tests in contribs. Plus the mirror might not be updating. Try again later; it's just after 2pm here PST, and that is 11pm for that mirror; you know how geeks stay up all night. B) Also noticed that the kernel-source for the 2.4.23xxrc5 is not there yet.

Now you see why I have 4 cooker mirrors (x3 main/contrib/plf) sources defined? :o

Thanks for your help BVC.

I have read that, but I don't really understand it that well. I checked the kernel config which is where that answer leads to, and everything seemed OK.

I am actuall going to be setting up a server today anyway and I'll connect through that and run the 2.6 kernel through this box and connect to the net through the network so it won't be a problem.

So, now I am going to try and work out how to set up a server but I will return to this convo later on. Today hopefully!!

so then I tried the virgin 2.6 install

CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-agp.o
    CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-interface.o
    CC [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/os-registry.o
    LD [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
  /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk/scripts/Makefile.modpost:17: *** Uh-oh,
yo
  u have stale module entries. You messed with SUBDIRS,
  /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk/scripts/Makefile.modpost:18: do not
compla
  in if something goes wrong.
    MODPOST
    CC      /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.mod.o
    LD [M]  /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg0/usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-0.test9.5mdk'
-> done.
-> Kernel module compilation complete.
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.  This is most likely
      because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel source
files.
      Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
      kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
      'kernel-source' rpm installed.  If you know the correct kernel source
      files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the
      '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
  -1 Invalid module format
"/var/log/nvidia-installer.log" 71L, 3496C 

[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules
2.4.22-19mdk/  2.6.0-0.1mdk/
[root@ml root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.0-0.1mdk/kernel/drivers/video
aty/            hgafb.ko  neofb.ko     riva/     tdfxfb.ko     vga16fb.ko
console/        i810/     nvidia.ko    sis/      tridentfb.ko  vgastate.ko
cyber2000fb.ko  matrox/   radeonfb.ko  sstfb.ko  vfb.ko
[root@ml root]# uname -r
2.6.0-0.1mdk
[root@ml root]#

I could live with the nv (XFree86) driver if it didn't kick the screen off to the rt. Did it with my GF2 also. You'd think they would have fixed that after a year. I don't play games in linux and the nvidia driver has always eaten too much mem. I've used xvidtune to straigthen it out and put the modline in XF86Config-4 but it never works and who want to open xvidtune everytime you log in.

Guest kuchwas

Ok, found the halloween doc or what to expect from kernel 2.6, it has a ton of info about setup, tuning, testing, and where udev and devfs, sysfs, et.al. fit into the long term scheme. This is up to date for the 2.6 test 9 kernel.

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-hal...lloween-2.6.txt

So I followed the directions, setup my agp. This is a GeForce FX 5200 128Mb card, 1.3 GHz P4 with 512 Mb ram, 2.6 kernel on cooker 10.0. Rebooted, looged into fluxbox, opened eterm and ran glxgears.

11258 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2251.600 FPS

11376 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2275.200 FPS

11428 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2285.600 FPS

11065 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2213.000 FPS

11323 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2264.600 FPS

11218 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2243.600 FPS

Wheeeeeee! :D