2.6 Kernel

Peppercorn

Hi guys & gals

As most of you have probably figured out I am quite a newbie, but I am getting there!

I installed and ran the 2.6 kernel just as a test for myself the other day, and after some tweaks with the nvidia driver I got it all up and running.

It was SO MUCH FASTER than the 2.4 kernel!!! Or did I just imagine it???

What I would like to know is how would I get my usb module working in 2.6?? Because it didn't find it or load it on start up.

Can anyone give me some clues as to where I should start??

I know that 2.6 is still under development, but on my computer it worked fine excepting usb.

Anyone????

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you detail exactly what you did to get the 2.6 kernel up and running? There have been a few other people try and not succeed, so I would like to hear what you did. Also, what version of Linux are you running, system specs, hardware, etc. Anything relating to making 2.6 work on your system.

I got it going...sorta, but it was a dog for me. I believe the prob resolves around the 2.6 moving to the new 'mod' scheme. It's more like the debian way of mod loading/probing, which is brilliant but a little confusing to learn at first. I never completely got a hold of it actually. If you can poke around and see how things are linked and being done and post some files maybe we can figure it out. USB is also one of the things that didn't work for me, but that has been a prob with my MoBo anyway because of apic. Maybe I'll try again :devil:

Guest kuchwas
I am also curious about this.  I tried installing kernel 2.6, but my screen doesn't display anything during the boot process, and my wireless card never turns on; so I know it's not working correctly.

In your lilo.conf, change to vga=normal for 2.6; the do not have fb support yet for Mandrake, but close.

Wireless cards are still back on the todo list, as is usb. Drives and ethernet cards, and most sound cards are ok; everything else is being worked on. USB is ok for mouse, keyboard, storage, but not for my Clie, Zaurus, digital cameras, etc.

As BV states, it is the change from modules.conf to modprobe.conf with module-init-tools. It's over my head right now. :unsure:

Yes it is truly "test" status!

Tim

Well, I am impressed with myself!!!! Only luck I guess. Well, I have an Albatron MB with Nforce2 chipset AMD 2600XP processor and 512 ddr ram. An Nvidia 64 meg GEforce AGP card.

Everything worked except the USB and the monitor on startup. So, when you get the boot screen

Hit Esc

Type in the name of the kernel you want to boot from. For example, call it 2.6.test.

Type in 2.6.test vga=0

and you'll see everything as normal.

I had to disable my Nvidia 3d driver in XF86Config-4

But after that, it all worked normal, except for the USB, and the eth0 which I got going by going through the wizard.

I am running 9.2

Now, back to the original question, any ideas how I would go about getting the USB loaded??

It gives me the error

"EZUSB USB ADSL LOADER" not found or not loaded something like that!

Guest kuchwas
Ah I just read kuchwas' post!

So I'll just have to wait for the people with the brains to get it happening then A??

It does seem so much faster though. Anyone else find that??

It does fly for me as well. You should hear the alsa sound with 1.0pre1!!! Low latency is built in to 2.6 as well; probably will not need mm kernels.

"EZUSB USB ADSL LOADER" not found or not loaded something like that!

External USB is a mutha, from what I can see in the discussion, way over my head. Patches and diffs, and whatever.

Tim

Guest kuchwas
Where is the discussion happening kuchwas??

Cooker Mailing List, or course! B)

Here is something to check out to see if you want to do this:

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...ain/CookerHowTo

Note the sentence that states that the list is extremely busy and may get 1000 (YES, One THOUSAND) messages a day late in development.

Official 2.6.0-0.1mdk kernel (non-test) just hit contribs this morning! I'm about to boot into it and see how it is. Sysfsutils and udev are new required tools as well as module-init-tools for modprobe.conf additions, i.e. we had devfs, now we have a new sysfs as well with 2.6!

Have fun...

Tim

i ran 2.6 on a test box. did not notice any handling differences. i had it installled in a very sparse arch linux install. the only place i noticed a speed difference was boot and the launch of a few apps.

but the speed difference were very very minor like stepping from an AMD XP 1800+ to a 1900+. i am sure those micro seconds would add up but it would take a long time.

i think this kernel needs a bit of work both in the code and documentation.

it should be a greatr kernel by 2.6.6 or so though which would be way sooner than 2.4 became stable

Guest kuchwas
Can you tell me where to get that kernel??? I can't locate it anywhere.

You need a Cooker feed. Mandrake Cooker Page can give you a feed. It will require you to add a few other files, and make sure you look at the changes to conf files that will save as .rpmsave so you can get back without too much trouble. I'd also recommend a full system backup before you start, with the additions of sysfsutils, udev, and module-init-tools.

Tim

Guest kuchwas
wonder why our cooker stopped having the 2.6/stuff?

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Mandrake/cooker/i586/

There have been alot of problems with synching mirrors. The mandrake-forum.org mirror is badly out of synch and missing about half of the current files. The 2.6 kernel stuff has alll been in contribs, and I'm not sure that you have contribs, only main???

Tim