Can't do a PXE install

Guest dano

I have a PXE setup for several different linux distributions. I can't use drakpxelinux since the dhcp/tftp server isn't running mandrake. I have a Toshiba Satellite system that is running 2009.1. I downloaded the 2010.0 powerpack DVD image and extracted the all.rdz and vmlinuz files from isolinux/alt0 directory of the DVD. I installed them on my dhcp/tftp server, reusing a 2009.1 entry. I am able to boot the system using PXE and I get the menu of distributions. If I choose the 2010.0 install, I can see that I am downloading the vmlinuz image from the tftp server. Then nothing. I am expecting it to download the all.rdz image, but no tftp request is made for that file. No change is seen on the display of the Toshiba. There is no disk activity at all on the system. The entry in the PXE configuration is:

LABEL mandriva

MENU LABEL ^Mandriva 2010

KERNEL vmlinuz.m2010.0

APPEND root=/dev/ram0 initrd=all.rdz.m2010.0

I've also tried without the root=/dev/ram0, acpi=off, vga=788, with no change in the result. The PXE network install wiki page doesn't provide any new insight. I have tried another distro from the same PXE setup on the Toshiba and it does download and start the installation as it should, so I don't think there is any problem with the Toshiba itself. If you reply to this topic, please indicate whether or not you have actually done the PXE install using the 2010 kernel or not.

Thanks,

Dano

Edited by dano

I've never done a PXE install but I've done many network installs using a grub entry.

You could try renaming the .rdz file to something like 2010-0.rdz and make the appropriate changes to your menu.

Also after the root=/dev/ram0 add ramdisk_size=700000 and put the initrd entry on a separate line.

Just some thoughts.

Ken

You could try renaming the .rdz file to something like 2010-0.rdz and make the appropriate changes to your menu.

I tried that, but it made no difference. I've not found that the filename or extension make any difference with PXE loads. All of my other entries utilize an OS specific extension (e.g. .f11 for Fedora 11).

Also after the root=/dev/ram0 add ramdisk_size=700000 and put the initrd entry on a separate line.

I only have 512MB of memory on the laptop, so a 700MB ramdisk won't fit. I did try a 128MB ramdisk size, but that didn't help either. All the kernel parameters need to be on the append line. I've never tried multiple append lines and I've not seen them used. That may work in grub, but that won't make any difference here.

Thanks for trying, though.

I'm not sure how ramdisk_size= counts, bits ,bytes ,kilobits etc but an entry of ramdisk_size=700000 works on my laptop with only 512MB of ram.

As I said I've not used PXE but as no one else has come up with an answer for you I added my 2 cents worth. :rolleyes:

Ken