Directway Satellite Internet

Technonoid

I'm about to die for much higher speed internet. I'm so dang tired of dial-up.

Call phone company about DSL. I'm on the border line, call back in 3 months. * 3 months pass..* I'm on the border line. They say again. I'm tired of waiting...

Looking hard at Directway..

Anyone here using, or have seen it in action?

TIA

Tech

I'm about to die for much higher speed internet. I'm so dang tired of dial-up.

Call phone company about DSL.  I'm on the border line, call back in 3 months. * 3 months pass..* I'm on the border line. They say again.  I'm tired of waiting...

Looking hard at Directway..

Anyone here using, or have seen it in action?

TIA

Tech

If you have ever watched a 'live' sports program on a satellite, and listened at the same time on radio, you know that there is a significant lag. I prefer the local radio announcers for football, and while there is a half-second delay normally, on the satellite connection the lag is too much.

Directv is hard to beat, but the lag could be a problem for Inet access if you are into online gaming, or inet phone....I have never tried it, but you may want to ask the DTV people about it.

If you get it, let us know how it works. I have DSL now, and see no need for the monthly phone service fee since I have cell service. I would LOVE to tell the phone company to stick it. I did that with cable with no regrets.

Guest A1bertFish

Hey, if everything works well for you, let me know. I've been contemplating the switch to Directway for a while now, away from my crappy dial-up modem, but I've never talked to anyone that's used it before (which is why I'm wary).

That sucks man... clouds will make your directway slow as hell and sometimes not even connect. There is significant lag, and it is no better than any other shared provider, but since you cant get dsl, I would recommend it. I have directv for television, and rarely have problems, and I could get directway and t.v. off the same satillite cause I got dual uhv, but dsl kicks so much ass I'd rather not pay double for lag, cause I like games. Cable is not an option... they are 15$ more than my dsl and are half the speed both directions. Satillites are usually 1500/512 or 1500/256, which is double what I have, but they sometimes have problems with clouds and sometimes don't run stable enough to use. I am paying 24.95 a month for verizon online dsl, which after the directv internet snaffu, is under control. Their service is untwarted, and I am enjoying over 95% of the dsl's potential, as cable you would not. It's up to you, but I recommend getting an ok router and not hooking it up using usb, cause Linux doesn't work too well with such things.

Edited by linuxknight

Satellite is slow to start because of the laws of Physics

The waves need to travel to the sattelite and back.

If we have a geostationary orbit ~36000km (times 2), it takes some time for the waves to travel.

And you will for sure have a small delay,

But it is great for stream data, once the connect establish and the data flows

the best is to couple it with a mornal modem for the small and quick data flow.

Sunny

Heres what I've found:

1- Sat would be okay if its all you'd ever be able to have. Beats Dialup.

2- Sat may have a good Download speed, but upload is about a tenth of download speed. Example: 450 down 45 up. Big difference.

3- And the best news so far. DSL equipment is 2/3 complete in my area! YaHOOO!!

So it should be soon, guessing about 2-3 months.

So this means I will do no further research in Sat's.

For thoses who may have no other choice. It is expensive, and have to use it at least 30 days or pay an additional 300 us $ to deactivate it. :o

That upload speed is good in my mind. I have blazing download on coax, but upload is capped at 32k. Also, in the area I checked satellite for a family member who doesn't have REAL dsl the conditions are much worse. It is equivalent of $100 p/m the first entire year.. or you can pay that entire difference up front, and pay what it will cost after the first year per month of a minimal $50. That is outrageous, but when it is your only real high speed option... :wall:

I have the Direcway Satellite. I had a 56K modem before. I have very little problems with the system. The only time I ever have a problem is when we get a heavy snow. I just go knock the snow off the dish and I am back in buisness. I play online games with it, cruiz the net, and check email at about 200k/s where as I was getting 2.5k/s on my modem. Their newest system is sweet. It is a upload/download modem connecting straight to your network via RJ45. No modems required! I purchased mine through a company called Rapid Satellite. They offer free installation. Everything is still through Direcway, they are just a vendor for the hardware. Use this link to get to their site and use Promo Code 3783.

Rapid Satellite