Fight back against Microsoft tax!

SoulSe

NOTE: I hope that this information has not been posted before, to my knowledge is has not.

:devil:The Evil: Microsoft tax is charged on new computer systems, especially laptops, which is included in the price of the machine. Microsoft impose this tax in their war against piracy.

:screwy:The Presumption: Microsoft believe that this tax is justified, they presume that everybody will run Windows on a new PC laptop or prebuilt desktop. They do not consider that you have a choice, nor a right, to use anything else.

:zzz:Don't be left in the dark: Most people pay this tax without knowing exactly what it is about.

:deal: Your Rights: No one can force you to pay for a product you will never use. It is against your constitutional rights (in most countries) to charge this tax. If you return any Microsoft products bundled with hardware, the retailer MUST refund you in full for those products.

:help:There is help available: An excellent website exists which will provide you with more information and help: http://www.windowsrefund.net/

Don't take 'No' for an answer - if you do not use the Microsoft products bundled with your hardware, then there is money owing to you, go and get it back. Microsoft sales figures currently reflect an incorrect statistic of how many people use Windows. Linux users must take a stand and get our own back!

Nice. It's nice to see people taking they're rights back. M$ products should not be forced down your throat. When I buy a laptop, I want the laptop, not the OS.

I can get around the desktop issue because I build my own, and those of my friends and family. But you can't do this with laptops. These OEM's need to offer more choices.

It is, Microsoft will have to answer the issue of why they are forcing Windows to everybody when people find Linux On Desktop can satisfy many of their needs.

To this date, Microsoft has not responded to any questions about usability of Linux On Desktop by various tech journalists.

Personally I always build my desktop at home, but I think I remember seeing some of the smaller laptop-brands locally here in Norway selling laptops without OS on...

There are some laptop brands and companies offering Linux latops and laptops without any OEM software. I have found a great online store for people living in America, I am currently trying to find out if they do International courier deliveries. They also have some sweet refurbished laptops, preloaded with Linux:

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

I would also like to hear from people who have succesfully claimed back on Microsoft tax. Please post if you have! My personal experience has been horrible. Retailers in South Africa are completely clueless as to the law in this regard.

As for OS-less latop, it depends on the vendor you are ordering from, but not from IBM, yet: :screwy:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/11/14/...8674368956.html

The story at Windowsrefund.net suggested how difficult it was for a small company to order 6 OS-less Latop PCs from Dell, and also check out this story from Linux Journal on the litigation process of Windows refund (yes you need to resort to lawsuit against OEM, not an easy option at all):

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7040

Edited by zero0w