Can't seem to get sound [solved]

Sunwatcher

I've installed Mandriva Powerpack 2008.0 on an old laptop. Everything is working well, but I cannot get the sound to work. In the control center, the hardware shows as installed with the maestro3 driver, but there is no sound, and I am unable to change drivers in the control center. Any ideas?

Have you checked the volume levels to make sure it's not muted or turned down low?

Yes, volume is fine, both in the volume control software and in the manual switch on the laptop. Still no sound. If I go to System>Preferences>Sound I see two devices listed; ESS Allegro PCI (Alsa mixer) and ESS Technology ESS1988 (OSS Mixer). In MCC I see "ES1988 Allegro-1" under soundcard.

Something weird happened. I shut the computer down and got the shutdown sound, but there is nothing when I reboot. I will try again to see if it does it again. >>No, can't recreate the sound on shutdown.

Edited by Sunwatcher

I'd have a go at running alsaconf from the command line as root to see if you can get it to play ball and see if there are some other options to configure in terms of sound card. Do:

su (enter root password when prompted)
alsaconf

and then go through and see what you can configure. Perhaps a restart after this might help and if not, and there were more than one card listed in alsaconf, try all combinations and see what happens.

I'd have a go at running alsaconf from the command line as root to see if you can get it to play ball and see if there are some other options to configure in terms of sound card. Do:

su (enter root password when prompted)
alsaconf

and then go through and see what you can configure. Perhaps a restart after this might help and if not, and there were more than one card listed in alsaconf, try all combinations and see what happens.

Thank you Ian! That worked. Many thanks.