Guest fic

Acer Aspire

Intel quad core

4gb ram

600 gb sata + 1 tb sata hd

usb mouse & keyboard (both Microsoft)

usb HP scanner

when I boot from the mandriva 2001 dvd it loads fine, I hit enter to

"start installation" and it goes to the installation screen to pick the language

etc. From then on, I can't make a choice. Both keyboard and mouse don't work no more.

I guess it doesn't like my pc for some strange reason?

Any suggestion how to resolve this problem are ver welcome?

tya,

f.

A very warm welcome to MUB. I know you will like it here.

If you are installing 2001 then the problem is likely due to your sata hard drives because back then, sata drives were not around and so the necessary driver was not yet in the kernel.

I think you will find that if you install say Mandriva 2008.1 onwards you will be fine. Why not install the latest Mandriva 2010 ???.

Cheers. John.

Please disregard my advice. Due to your mistype of your os as 2001 and my not actually noticing your heading as 2010, my suggestion is irrelavent. JB

Edited by AussieJohn

• 4 months later...
Guest Alfonso Crawford

I have a similar sort of problem: my Eee PC 1201HAB will freeze up at seemingly random points, though. I've got a few other brands of CD-R, and another program for burning ISOs. Would the age of my external optical drive be significant, especially if it's about 10 years old or so?

Welcome to the MUB B)

Would the age of my external optical drive be significant, especially if it's about 10 years old or so?

Yes, I would think so.

Are you installing 2010.0 or 2010.1? The second is still in beta (I think) and so could be a problematic install. It would be better to install 2010.0.

It sure is possible, older hardware would become deprecated and unsupported at some point. Whilst some/most might work, you'll get some that doesn't too :)

OK, so it is latest stable release. I wouldn't advise installing BETA version unless you don't mind if your system might break randomly with certain things not working for a while until an update is released, or that something might not actually work at all.

I'd advise waiting until it's released stably in the next couple of months.

Guest Alfonso Crawford

Now I'm confused! Dusting off my old laptop and installing Ubuntu 9.10, I was finally able to make a Mandriva-flash. I'm encountering the same problems I did with the CD, so I'm left wondering if something deep within the netbook has been corrupted? I can still enter the BIOS-menu and behave within it normally, so I don't think it's what's broken.

UPDATE:

The RAM was corrupt.

Edited by Alfonso Crawford

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted, but as I recently started a process of upgrading my computer and trying to install 2010.0 on my new PC just like the old one, I ran into a number of these similar install problems.

First of all, I did have some problems with using my original 2010.0 DVD which had a number of small scratches from normal wear and tear. I made a new DVD burned slowly to do the install. I was able to make it further through the process but still failed to make it far.

In the end I had luck by setting the kernel option of "no apic" during the initial choice screen for the install. I believe you need to press F5 or F6 and then select the "no apic" option. Some software/hardware configurations still have issues with automatic interrupt setting.

Once the install was done, I left the bootloader at the default which has APIC enabled and everything works.

May want to give this a try if burning a new copy doesn't work.