Cannot get past login screen -- help!

Guest evstevemd

Guest evstevemd

I have Mandriva Running in my external HDD and have been happy for quiet a time now. Today I was updating and removing my software and internet get disconnected for some reason. rpmuidrake reported fatal error and exited. I wasn't then able to see programs in start button :x

I decided to reboot and something strange happened. I cannot get to normal window for login, I just get web-form like login saying "welcome to local.localdomain" and when I put right username and password it keeps poping and I'm getting no where!

What should I do? I can get to bash as root via safemode but Iam a bit window-ish and don't know much of Linux. It is that I'm learning it :cry:

If the update process is interrupted, you will inevitably get a messed up-system with any OS. You can do the following: At the terminal prompt, log in as root, then run

urpmi --auto-update

which will update your rpm database and restart the updating-process. If it exits with a warning, then please post the message here, so we can find a workaround. (e.g. by forcing updates).

PS: urpmi --help will show you the available commands for urpmi. If you don't know what urpmi is, take a look here: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Tools/urpmi