How to run script when Xsession starts?

boatman9

In Gnome, System --> Preferences --> Sessions or Startup Applications

name varies from versioning of Gnome, previously was Sessions, but in Mandriva 2010 I see Startup Applications.

In Archlinux the appropriate file for that is /etc/rc.local

I don't really know if this is the right place for Debian- Arch may be a regular Linux distro, but it does have a few peculiarities: No init runlevels (just runlevel 3 and runlevel 5) and the initscripts use BSD-like hierarchy rather than Linux one.

Edited by scarecrow

In Mandriva:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

rc.local runs directly after rc.sysinit and all other scripts in /etc/init.d/, but this will usually be well before anybody has logged in apart from root and a few daemons. Thus putting commands here to play with X may be less useful.

The following scripts are sourced from your own ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc, but cannot be touched by mere mortals: /etc/profile.d/ or /etc/bashrc. The .bash_profile (and for Mandriva by extension also /etc/profile.d/*) is executed after every logon and also calls .bashrc. In addition .bashrc (by extension /etc/bashrc) is executed after start of every terminal session (so additional KTerm, rxvt, Gnome-terminal etc that you start after logging in). This also means that they are executed when you log into a (non-X) console.

I have put my X-related 'after-logon' activities in ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc, but I do not know how this would translate from my DE (XFce4) to Gnome, KDE or other DE's. I have also found a bunch of scripts in /etc/X11/xinit.d/ that looks like they are /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile.d/ equivalents, i.e. executed after start of X on system level. This is an assumption; I am not certain of that...