You could always use the option talked about here to upgrade:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...wtopic=8114&hl=

Except now, you wouldn't have to use Cooker. Just

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia <<each disk you have or internet source>>

urpmi.update -a

urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

urpmi kernel

I had no problems upgrading this way, neither did several others.

Steve:

I've did it ! (see the thread I was there)

Was nice, but I had problem with my USB ADSL Modem. Then I didn't even tried to fix: no time, back to 9.1.

That was cooker rc2 isn't it ? It's suposed to be the same as the final, but at least on my modem matter, I don't think so as it works well with the final.

by

roland

I had the 9.0 paid-for powerpack. Tried to upgrade to 9.1 using downloads, it was horribly unstable, 'upgraded' it back to 9.0, where it has been running nicely except for being a little short on the latest features, so...

I bought the latest download CDs from Linuxemporium and upgraded.

Everything seemed perfect until I started to notice things missing. No shells. What gives? Opening a window and typing in a few commands is one of the great ways of getting Linux to do stuff it doesn't want to do. Worse still, no K-mail. Shome mishtake shurely? I got the discs out and located Kmail, and tried to install it. It said there was a bad list, and that my mirror must be out of date. So I tried the internet upgrade path. A message informed me that a fatal error had occured. 'Medium upgrade source already exists'. OK, let's try installing something new from scratch and see what happens.

I've always meant to install MPlayer, so now seemed like a good time. 'Please insert CD 8'.

There are only 7 download CDs...

:help:

No X console ? damned you are right.

A menu problem ?

run MCC->System->MenuDrake: no terminal there

ok seems I have to add the menu entry

- what's the name of this X terminal I used sometime ? got it rxvt.

- is it still installed ? MCC->RpmDrake->Uninstall Package: rxvt still there.

- what's the executable ? display Maximum Information, search for a file that looks like an executable: must be /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt

- check: run konqueror, dbl click on /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt, that's it

- run MenuDrake again

- add an entry on Terminals folder

- change the icon so that it looks like a shell

- save, exit

- test

- finish

concerning kmail: can't help: don't use it

roland

I installed 9.2 "Discovery" boxed and found it lacking alot of features so I purchased the 3 CD version cheap unboxed. Now I want to reinstall or upgrade to get Gnome and the other features. Is there just the 3rd CD I should run to get the other stuff or run all three as an upgrade? Will I lose my Opera Browser and have to reinstall or will everything stay the way it is now?

I installed 9.2 "Discovery" boxed and found it lacking alot of features so I purchased the 3 CD version cheap unboxed.  Now I want  to reinstall or upgrade to get Gnome and the other features.  Is there just the 3rd CD I should run to get the other stuff or run all three  as an upgrade?  Will I lose my Opera Browser and have to reinstall or will everything stay the way it is now?

Everything may stay the way it is now. Just you'll have to install ... what is not already installed now.

Never tried to install such a big package as Gnome. That's time to test isn't it ? lest us know how it goes.

roland

Well it's still running slow, and according to the 'top' command Opera (7.23) is using 99.3% of the CPU time, and while the average load is low, it's still over 10 times higher than it was using Opera 7.11 on Mandrake 9.0. The trouble is, I upgraded both at the same time, so I don't know where the fault lies, but I am building up quite a list of things that don't work properly with 9.2... :furious3: